• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uncommon modification on new CUCV

ranchhopper

I bought this 84 1009 from federal surplus on the GSA sight unseen looked pretty nice in the only pic they posted. I usually buy from federal surplus because the trucks come there directly from the DRMO and they are usually stock trucks. As I was trying to get the hood open while looking through the grille I thought I saw an A/C condenser after getting the hood open sure enough there was the A/C. Problem is they took off the DS alternator for room and disconnected the wires and taped them up I dont know if they left it 24 volt or not. They disconnected the positive cable that runs from the slave recepticle to the positive buss bar and removed the condenser from the PS alternator. The jumper that usually goes from the neg on the back battery to the pos on the front battery looked like they still had the batteries in series because of the size of the terminals smaller negative larger positive. It would have been nice if it had a set of batteries in it so I could have known what was going on. I bought it to resell because its rust free and the paint is still good but this has really got me stumped. The voltage gauge doesnt work but you would think it must have at one time given the effort put into reinstalling it next to the pushbutton switch for the glowplugs. I dont think one alternator can charge both batteries in a 24 volt system there is an extra wire coming off the neg on the rear battery one goes to the power block to the cab and the other goes to the positive buss bar I hooked up a set of batteries 24 volt in series and no start there is power to the large red wire going into the starter relay and when the key is turned to the start position there is power coming out the purple wire still no start.

Attachments

edpdx

Ummm AIR. I wouldn't mind having some in my Blazer; but there seems to be plenty to worry about under there now.

Sounds like a job for an AC shop- it's probably cheaper this time of year to have them check the system for you. If everything runs and charges the way it is set up now, and you can get the AC to run, you should be able to sell the heck out of it.

ryan77

check the starter see if its a 24 volt or a 12 volt one, looks like a hacked up 12 volt conversion to me!

ranchhopper

Thats what I thought I will probably do the roscommon 12 volt conversion I have done it a few times but even if the starter were 12 volt I had it wired 24 volt I thought it would still start just turn the starter a bit faster.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does look like a mess.

The easiest fix would be to "rewire" for the Rosscommon 12v conversion as that method is well documented and simple to do. And if the future owner has issues they can get help.

Cool to have A/C but who knows how they did it and if it even works.

I also like all the circuit breakers attached to the passenger fender.

Double check the starter relay under the dash as they may have removed it.

ranchhopper

I think the relay might still be there I hear something sounds like it energizes where the relay is and when I turn the key to the start position I get power to the purple wire.The generator light goes on when the key is turned on too.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the starter even installed? I have seen some weird stuff from GSA

ranchhopper

Yes the starter is on the truck I usually just buy the federal surplus trucks because they are the ones not issued to a government entity so I dont know how this one got this way but I have had the purple wire carry power down to the starter and not energize the terminal on another truck there is some kind of fuse or fusible link in the plastic piece the terminal comes out of where it goes on the starter solenoid.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the truck has been "modified" this will be a hit and miss diagoisis.

So we have power to the starter relay and power coming out the purple wire with the key truned to start. This should energize the solenoid.

Check the large wire coming from the 24v Positive Terminal Board to the starter. Also check the connections for corrosion. Is the 24v Terminal Board receiving power?

At some point you will wan to remove the starter and see if it is 12v or 24v. It may also just be bad.

Attachments

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
I bought this 84 1009 from federal surplus on the GSA sight unseen looked pretty nice in the only pic they posted. I usually buy from federal surplus because the trucks come there directly from the DRMO and they are usually stock trucks.

Sorry to change the subject but it sounds like you have plenty of experience with buying from GSA. How much of a pain is it to buy from them? Im looking at getting an M1008 from them. Thanks

kipman

Not a pain at all, they are not trying to profit, just to move surplus inventory, you can call most sites and get a honest evaluation of what you are looking at.

ranchhopper

I have always had good luck with the GSA way more accomodating than another unnamed auction company. I have learned over the years there is good places to get things from on the GSA and some not so good.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm confussed.... is this thread about wiring or is it about buying from GSA????? :razz::razz::razz: