• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Under 25yr Old Vehicle Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

cten

:jumpin: Does anyone have a M35A2C insured in any state that is under 25yrs old?

I'm having a commercial policy shoved down my throat here in Massachusetts just because the insurance company says the vehicle is over 10,000#'s. The insurance company's policy not the States policy.

There has to be another way around this as a normal policy does not fit my needs of 20 weekends a year.

They say it has to be a camper for an RV policy when MA State Law says it just needs to carry the camping equipment and weight and wheels is not an issue.

They can not even interpret the intent of their own laws.

I'm getting shoved into a commercial class.

Gee, when was the last time you saw a commercial truck with all wheel drive that could only travel 50 miles an hour on the highway and got 8miles to the gallon.

Really effecient for hauling freight, over the mountains maybe.

I'm venting as I have litterally spoken to over 20 insurance companies so far and they just do not seem to get the term specialty vehicle.

Does the word descrimination come to mind.

Regards,

cten

I did see them in an earlier post.

I just left them a message a few minutes ago.

Problem is most insurance companies do not underwrite in Massachusetts.

Then when you tell them it is an old military truck they freak out.

Liability/risk etc...

If you think of anyone else let me know.

Monster Man

after calling about 5 local companies, even my own insurer for everything else, they were total idiots. Like you, they all told me it would be a commercial policy. Just whatever you do, don't tell them it's got three axles, just say it's an old Jeep flatbed, maybe that will help. These people don't know cars at all, yet they work in the car field, go figure. My truck is registered as a Jeep flatbed because the DMV workers had no clue what I was talking about and thought I was lying. Just get creative when you tell them what it is. I think your only hope I'm afraid is a national chain- I tried Progressive, and even though some people here use progressive the guy I talked with is an idiot and said it couldn't be done. Guess it depends who you talk to. I luckily found Gulfway
I could be wrong, but I don't think Gulfway had an age limit, like Hagerty and the other specialty insurers do. I had recently turned 25 when I got mine insured

Desert Rat

cten,
I use State Farm with a regular policy. My agent here took several photos of my truck, sent them in to HQ, and about 15 minutes later had a policy that was not a commercial policy. I guess being in Indiana where there are quite a few farmers didn't hurt either. The policy replaced my F-150 policy because I sold the pick-up when I got my baby. On top of full comprehensive coverage I also saved about $150 per year just due to the difference in vehicles. If you want my agent to help let me know and I'll put you in contact with him.

cten

I'm finally making some headway on this, but I'm afraid if I count my chickens before they are hatch I might jinxs it.

I'll let you all know how I make out.

Right now were a little busy digging out up here.

Regards,

Tony

eten,
Its not the jail time for misrepresenting, its that the Ins co would void the coverage, and you would lose whatever you have in a law suit. Here in Calif, Arizona and Texas (states that IO know of ) we have Historical Plates, you register the vehicle as this in the state and you don't hav eto pay the heavy commercial rates to register the vehicle,,I'm in the process of getting insurance myself, have had some problems, what I intend to do is get liability only, which would reduce the cost and aliviate the garaged req.

With the historical plates you do have some restrictions, but they are minor, like you can't use it for commercial use, ect.

Tony

Monster Man

well, I'm not advocating you lie by any means, but I'm saying a) don't give them any more information than you need (for example, don't say it's a commercial cargo truck, or cargo hauling truck, etc., I missed a few policies for saying it was a cargo truck) If they ask what the GVWR is, tell them, but explain it needs to haul a lot of camping gear for all those boy scouts (but don't say it will haul more than 18 boy scouts)
and b) just go with the flow. As said, I attempted to explain that my truck was an M35 cargo truck, ex military, BIG, with a 12 foot bed. The DMV were the ones that assumed, and made an ass out of them. Now it's a "Jeep Flatbed", and there was no arguing with them (they thought I was lying). And I'll take that to court, since they actually had the vehicle right in front of them for the inspection, so they knew what it was!

Elwenil

Bottom line is, Federal D.O.T. says that unless you are hauling someone else's cargo to make money, or your own cargo in your own small business, you are not commercial. You can buy a semi, and take it to buy groceries or just cruise in, and it is not a commercial vehicle. If the feds don't think it's commercial, I don't see how someone could force a commercial policy on you. Now, whether or not you can get an insurance company to understand that, or even the local DMV, is another question. I gave up on buying an 8x8 because DMV kept wanting to classify it like it was a crane or something. Insurance would have been a nightmare, so when the house I was selling to fund the purchase fell through, I finally just gave up. I'm going to try again with a 6x6 soon, so I guess I'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks