• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Under-register 5-ton to avoid CDL in CT ?

linesplice

Guys, let me first say that this a great forum. I found it while searching for info on registering a 5-ton (I have yet to purchase) in my home state of Connecticut.

I searched and read the CDL info here I could find already, but perhaps someone can shed a little light on this for me.

The CT law says anything over 26,000lb.s GVWR needs a CDL. Since a 5-ton is going to weigh something around 20,000 empty and capable of another 10,000 highway, then that total (~30,000lbs.) is the GVWR, right?

Does anyone know if I can register the truck for less than the stated GVWR, but more than the empty weight? Also, does anyone know the significance of antique/early american plates in Connecticut?

I'd appreciate any feedback or thoughts anyone has!

Westech

CPL
yes you can under register the truck...*** BUT*** if you get busted hauling more then your plates are for its one (1) dollar a pound fine (at least here in WI, found most states are like that) so if your just going to drive around and suck fuel its ok to be right at the limit.

rmgill

5 tons are 44,000 lbs GVW. They'll carry 10 tons on the road per the manual.

Check your CT laws and see if there's a NON Commercial license that handles that size.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on the weight. In FL you declare your weight. I've got my tractor tagged with 14999# plates.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did not say whether you were going to purchase the 5 ton from a private individual who probably has already registered it OR go the GL/GSA/DRMO auction route.

When I purchased my deuce, the title said it was 6400 lbs. When I took the title in to register it in my name the guy behind the counter said "It says 6400 lbs, SO THAT'S WHAT IT IS".

I shut my trap and let him register it that way. Hey, who am I to argue with the Colorado state government employee. Plus, I don't know about where you live, but here in Colorado, you are NOT allowed to drive trucks over 7000 lbs empty weight on city streets.

So, I just let it ride. I rarely HAUL anything of consequences. Though I did haul 3000 lbs of rocks one day. And eight yards of mulch another time. And I have helped one friend move and loaned my truck to Dr. Foster when he moved.

BUT over all I DOUBT ANYONE will care. I rode around town with no plates on my truck for about two weeks. When ever I saw an LEO, they generally either just smiled or waved.

GOOD LUCK in your hunt for the 'right' 5 ton...

jim

rmgill

Linesplice, I took a little time trying to look at CT statutes. Sorry dude, but your state's webmaster has his head up his ass. Chapter 246 has the requisite code sections, but if you try to browse the chapter it downloads the entire 1.4 megs EVERY SINGLE TIME, and with how they seem to get their bandwidth on the cheap...it sucks.

Anyhow, I looked at a few sections before I got frustrated and shut off that computer and killed the 1 browser I could get to load the massive page and I found the following:

CT state code does NOT define CMVs by commercial use. It exempts Recreational vehicles by type and not by use. This is the same problem I have in Georgia. Except CT defines RVs, Georgia does not do so by code section. I'm not sure how you should proceed.

Good luck.

2deuce

In Oregon you declare your weight also. The DMV here said since its a truck I had to get truck plates and the more weight I assign to the plate the more it cost. My other option is the overweight trip permit. Thats what I use now, $21 for 10 days any weight. In Oregon you don't need a CDL for a military vehicle. Farmers are also excused from the CDL 26k requirement.

acrane

I just registered my deuce in CT, and they almost did not let me do that because of the GVWR.

I registered as an Antique, and they told me anything over 19,000 GVWR had to be registered as a commericial vehicle and had to undergo the commercial vehicle inspection. The catch is that since the deuce was being registered as an antique pick up truck, it can not be used to haul anything ever and the GVWR is the same as the empty weight.

I don't think this will fly with the 5-ton, so you will be looking at registering it as a commerical vehicle, undergoing the commercial vehicle inspection (which will require you to add some modifications to the truck) and getting a CDL license.

Antique vehicles do not have to get inspected, but they do need a VIN verification and they WILL check your data plates and manuals to see what the weights are listed as. I can tell you that they gave me a very hard time about my truck and it is only a deuce and a half. 19,000 pounds was also the weight quoted to me at 2 different locations as the cut off for a commercial vehicle.

It also depends on which DMV you go to, as I had one inspector tell me I had to go to Wethersfield becuase my truck was "military" and "not street legal" (which is BS) and refused to do the vin verification, and another who looked at it and said it was fine because it was an antique.

Bottom line in my experience is that you can expect a bunch of crap from the DMV because you have a big green army truck that is different, and no one knows how to handle it.

There are a number of guys in COMVEC who have five tons, if you contacted them I'm sure they could tell you how they did it.

rmgill

Another word on the Big trucks and CDL rules.

The Feds, are quire clear on the subject, irrespective of what kind of truck it is, if you use it for personal uses only (even hauling things to and from a rally) its not considered commercial and you do NOT need a CDL. If you use an RV for commercial uses, even though it's an RV, it's commercial and you need a CDL.

Many states erroneously wrote their CDL rules such that they based the Commercial Status on the type of vehicle, up to and including if it was operated by the police they thought it wasn't commercial. THIS IS WRONG according to the feds (Use, not the equipment, decides it's commercial status). The trick is that the state laws can be more strict than the federal law. The Feds are working to get this sorted out, but the only clear way around all of this is for the people that live in those states to get their legislatures to change the law to the way the feds say it needs to be. You can use the threat of federal funding being revoked, but the feds are not likely to do that if the states cooperate slowly over time.

Twinpinion

In California you can register it as a Historical Vehicle. This way you can avoid the weight fee and possibly the CDL. The bummer is I can't get caught hauling anything and the only time I can drive it on the road is to and from a parade, photo shoot...I go to a lot of parades. :wink:

jblueep

Texas has an exclusion for farm use. I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking I'll go that route. As long as you are within 150 miles of your farm and are transporting goods to or from your farm, it's legal. I have three acres with goats and donkeys so I'm pretty sure I qualify as a farmer. Perhaps there is something like that in CT (if you can justify the farming part) ;)

rmgill

Ahh. Yes. That's your out. But, if you can, try to get a NON-Commercial Class B license (as a farmer perhaps) that'll allow you out of state if you just couch the truck as a fun vehicle.

linesplice

Re: RE: Under-register 5-ton to avoid CDL in CT ?

rmgill said:
5 tons are 44,000 lbs GVW. They'll carry 10 tons on the road per the manual.

Check your CT laws and see if there's a NON Commercial license that handles that size.
It looks like CT only has CDL for over 26,000 lbs. (class C+) and class D for anything under 26,000 pounds. However, it looks like anything over 10,000 lbs. needs to be registered commercial. The antique registration is ambiguous from what I read on the laws.

linesplice

rmgill said:
Linesplice, I took a little time trying to look at CT statutes. Sorry dude, but your state's webmaster has his head up his ass. Chapter 246 has the requisite code sections, but if you try to browse the chapter it downloads the entire 1.4 megs EVERY SINGLE TIME, and with how they seem to get their bandwidth on the cheap...it sucks.

Anyhow, I looked at a few sections before I got frustrated and shut off that computer and killed the 1 browser I could get to load the massive page and I found the following:

CT state code does NOT define CMVs by commercial use. It exempts Recreational vehicles by type and not by use. This is the same problem I have in Georgia. Except CT defines RVs, Georgia does not do so by code section. I'm not sure how you should proceed.

Good luck.
No doubt. There are a lot of stupid things in CT. I took a look at chapter 246 and I couldn't find squat about commercial vs. non-commercial. It doesn't even say what "recreation vehicle" is defined by. Those get super-heavy and no license needed for them, so can't I just call a 5-ton an RV (I'll put a piss bucket in the cab with a blanket)?

Thanks for looking anyhow. This is frustrating.

rmgill

There's a definitions section that in fact defines RV. Can't tell you where, but it's there. It exempts certain vehicles, in general, farm vehicles, emergency vehicles and RVs.

motorolanut

Its simple, If you plan on heavy duty hauling register it as CDL, If you are driving around with nothing in the bed except a quad/fourwheeler, don't sweat it.

acrane

Linesplise - I don't know about the RV route, you can try it.

I know CT won't let you register that as an antique, unless you fudge the GVWR on your registration paperwork. You can register it as a commercial vehicle but they will make you get it inspected.

From my experiences at the DMV, they used the GVWR as the sole determination of the use of the vehicle and no amount of arguing will change their minds. As soon as you hand in the registration paperwork the first thing they check is the GVWR, if it is over 19,000 lbs they will say "Commercial Vehicle get it inspected." and that will be the end of that.