• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Undercoating

biped

I've replaced the body panels that had rust holes. New tailgate, hood, quarter panel plus some bondo work. I've got holes in the floor in various places. They're not large but they're growing. I can bondo them from the inside and I thought a "commercial" undercoating company could seal the undercarriage to prevent future rust. Anybody done that?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They can but be aware they will spray that stuff over whatever substrate you present. If your undercarriage has rust, they will spray over it and it will continue to rust and blister up the undercoating. Then you get to scrape it all off and start over.

ehuppert

Repairing or patching holes with steel would be far better than bondo! The new panel adhesives are really good, even a little easier than welding! Remove rust as best possible, then undercoat with cans?

Saberr

Frome my experience. If theres cancer rust anywhere involved in a repair, only weld in a new piece of steel. Rust is not to be underestimated or toyed with. Sounds like you are having cancer keep showing up. Would highly suggest you go through with a hammer and screw driver and hit any suspected spots. If it goes through weld/patch. If not then wheel till bare or close and then a rust killer over that. You can chase spots all your life or you can just take a day or so and fix it right once. Also another reasone im saying new metal, is that bondo is not structural, you kinda want the strength to keep you and your seats above your floor boards. No experience with panel adhesive.

ehuppert

Panel adhesive is made by SEM, Valvoline (pliogrip) and numerous others. Readily available, and is used in structural applications. Good for patching pieces in or entire panels. Have used both methods (welding or adhesives) but panel adhesive has become a industry standard.... Have to make sure repairs properly aligned, once glue sets you will NEVER get adhesive to release.... Very useful product!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks