• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

underpowered winch?

Capt.Marion

If you want the full 13,000 lbs of truck weight applied to the winch line, you'd have to hang the truck from the ceiling by the winch, or get it on a literally vertical incline... mgsin(theta)

spicergear

I also believe that the proper usage of the deuce winch on the truck for extracting itself states to have the truck in gear so that it has tires turning to help.

Kalashnikov

Having been in the electric winch world first, I thought it was ridiculous to have an "underpowered" winch on a Deuce as well. BUT, you have over twice the amount of cable as most electric winches and a much faster speed as well. 15 FPM vs almost 4FPM on a Warn 12k on first layer. Overall it equals out I think. One block gets 20k and 100'+ from anchor when the electric would get you just 12k line pull at 100'.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a reminder you can carry extra pins but when the bumper is 2 feet under mud and water you won't be replacing it . Don't bust a pin when your the one that is stuck.

Also saw someone use a MV winch to pull someone out. There was still line out and they stoped the winch 20 feet short and used the truck in gear to pull the rest of the way useing the winch line. Do believe that would be a no no.

Last edited: