• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Understanding numbers

Josep66

Hi guys,

just a quick question regarding the data tag numbers.
in this plate here, it shows the vehicle ID as 2J9100
85B7760B-EE08-433E-A504-83746E2272B1.jpeg
do I understand this will be shown in the hood as,

02J91069 (being 69 the year of manufacture).

There is no date of delivery, Manufacture by.. nor Contract number nor any other info in the plate.

this plate is in the heater box, don’t know if it has something to do with the car or just the heater.
CEAD9DF5-AE3E-4AF9-B753-6AA0E0E6A56D.jpeg
My guess is this car was made by Kaiser, but can’t really say it for sure.
it has drain holes on the door sides (as AM General cars, but not Ford cars).

Any ideas.?

Thanks

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think your Army registration number on the hood is not what you stated with 69 added to the vehicle identification number. Especially if it’s an AM General A2. That was a Ford thing.
The heater has nothing to do with the vehicle identification.

Josep66

I would think your Army registration number on the hood is not what you stated with 69 added to the vehicle identification number. Especially if it’s an AM General A2. That was a Ford thing.
The heater has nothing to do with the vehicle identification.
Thanks for the post.
So, you mean for a AM General, what it has to be on the hood is the plain VIN of the vehicle.? 2J 9100 would be correct then..? Definitely not a Ford because it has drain holes on the sides, and Ford Didn’t.

Josep66

Hi again,

I am trying to reproduce what could be right for the bumper markings in my 1968 M151A2 AM General.

101-327-2 B-7

That would state as:
101st Airborne Division
327 Infantry Regiment
2 battalion

B Company
7 vehicle position within a road march

Could be that statement correct.?

Thanks

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well sorry to mess with all you have put together... but most of it is inaccurate information.
  1. You have an M151A2 body that was made by AM General
  2. Being an AM General it had to have been made from 1971 to 1986ish
  3. From what I can see of the body it is a first contract AM General which would make it between 1971 & 1975 but this can be narrowed down if your vehicle has or had the emissions control equipment on the engine.
  4. The data plate on your vehicle is a replacement that is marked like an M825 recoilless rifle jeep (hence the 50mph max speed)
  5. The 2J9100 is not the correct registration / hood number for an M151A2 it is for an M151A1 made around 11th or 12th month of 1965
Please visit my website www.m151jeep.com

Josep66

Well sorry to mess with all you have put together... but most of it is inaccurate information.
  1. You have an M151A2 body that was made by AM General
  2. Being an AM General it had to have been made from 1971 to 1986ish
  3. From what I can see of the body it is a first contract AM General which would make it between 1971 & 1975 but this can be narrowed down if your vehicle has or had the emissions control equipment on the engine.
  4. The data plate on your vehicle is a replacement that is marked like an M825 recoilless rifle jeep (hence the 50mph max speed)
  5. The 2J9100 is not the correct registration / hood number for an M151A2 it is for an M151A1 made around 11th or 12th month of 1965
Please visit my website www.m151jeep.com
Hi Dan,

many thanks for all the information provided.
Very interesting and good to know about my M151A2, so thanks very much for that. Some information we already knew, and some other not.

Once again thank you for your time and the info.

cyrilbrd

I come up in the conversation. I purchased my AMG A2 tow years ago in Greece. After many issues, i am on my way to complete the restoration. Last steps with brake system and top bow vehicular to fix. I have a question about numbers. The greek seller just sticked a printed paper over the original plate. Actually it is just written with SN "NB 0503-33133". Impossible to find any other plate on the body including at the driver's bottom side. Does this number sound original or a plate brung from another chassis? I have no way to identify the year of delivery. The engine is from 1965 and has 2 plates. One being original and a reconstruction one by the greek services with 0.30 piston rebuilt.
Do you any idea on how to identify this vehicle with AMG version and only this NB serial number?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I come up in the conversation. I purchased my AMG A2 tow years ago in Greece. After many issues, i am on my way to complete the restoration. Last steps with brake system and top bow vehicular to fix. I have a question about numbers. The greek seller just sticked a printed paper over the original plate. Actually it is just written with SN "NB 0503-33133". Impossible to find any other plate on the body including at the driver's bottom side. Does this number sound original or a plate brung from another chassis? I have no way to identify the year of delivery. The engine is from 1965 and has 2 plates. One being original and a reconstruction one by the greek services with 0.30 piston rebuilt.
Do you any idea on how to identify this vehicle with AMG version and only this NB serial number?
Welcome to the site. A lot of good information here. I looked up SN NB0503 and couldn't find anything. Are you certain that the 5 is not the letter S instead? I found a listing for NB0S03, which is a 1979 AM General M151A2, Serial Number 10559. I have attached a copy of the listing so that you can see the data for yourself.

Attachments

cyrilbrd

Welcome to the site. A lot of good information here. I looked up SN NB0503 and couldn't find anything. Are you certain that the 5 is not the letter S instead? I found a listing for NB0S03, which is a 1979 AM General M151A2, Serial Number 10559. I have attached a copy of the listing so that you can see the data for yourself.
Good evening,
Very sorry to reply lately but i was pretty busy at the office. Checking the PDF file this weekend and making comparison on numbers.
Back online soon for a complete feedback.
Cyril

cyrilbrd

Good evening,
Very sorry to reply lately but i was pretty busy at the office. Checking the PDF file this weekend and making comparison on numbers.
Back online soon for a complete feedback.
Cyril
Eventually, as checking on the PDF file i found one serial number next to mine. I realize that my AMG was built in 1973 but i don't know which month. I was not sure about the real numbering as it almost vanished. Now as i made comparison with the list i can confirm that mine is number NB 05C3 - 33133. The one million dollars question is which month... Mine is a pre emission version.

AIE1

"I am trying to reproduce what could be right for the bumper markings in my 1968 M151A2 AM General.

101-327-2 B-7

That would state as:
101st Airborne Division
327 Infantry Regiment
2 battalion

B Company
7 vehicle position within a road march

Could be that statement correct.?"

Sir, you are close to have correct unit markings! From pictures you will find the marking within the same unit sometimes different. The guide for marking's is TB 746-93-1 dated October 1964. Based on my experience your unit marking would look more like the following;
101AB 2-I-327 on left side bumper on the right side B 7

The I in between 2- -327 is Infantry. I have seen the I left off on some vehicle's within Infantry units with just 2-327 marked. Regiments were not in place during the time of your vehicle, just Battalions. you would not be wrong if you have
101AB 2-327 B 7
I will try and attach a pic or two of unit markings. You have to look close at the Jeep rigged for airdrop, but can see the markings! Hope this helps!!

Attachments

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eventually, as checking on the PDF file i found one serial number next to mine. I realize that my AMG was built in 1973 but i don't know which month. I was not sure about the real numbering as it almost vanished. Now as i made comparison with the list i can confirm that mine is number NB 05C3 - 33133. The one million dollars question is which month... Mine is a pre emission version.
There is no way to find an exact month on AM General vehicles. Have you found your body # yet? it is stamped into the spare tire plate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks