• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

unidentified item in Battery box "What is it?"

freecr

Inside the battery box there is this unidentified item. Its wired 24V, rests in the battery hold down tray thing, has a led on it and has a coilled cord. Its cylindrical about 4 inches long. What is it? is it important/needed?

freecr

Thanks guys,

There are two tiny solar panels, maybe 3"x3", each ran to some sort of charge controller. They were disconnected prior to my picking up the truck.

Fastsailor, I searched for battery tester and came up with nothing, page 214 of my manual was van body area, we have different manuals.

As near as I can tell this item is useless at best and may even cause a phantom load so I'll probably remove it. It doesn't seem to be a common or needed item. I'll try and get a picture posted tomorrow just to make sure...

FloridaAKM

My Deuce came from WRAFB with one of those attached to the roof & wired to the batterys. It keeps up the batteries when you let the truck sit for long periods of time. You might want to think about reconnecting it if it is not damaged.

freecr

FloridaAKM, I'll be attaching a pmw solar charger soon with large enough panel(s) to do the job. Two tiny beer coaster sized panels... laugh, grumble, laugh, grumble... Whats the point. I still need to decide if it's worth the effort to go all 12v or keep the 24v.

FloridaAKM

The simple unit that came with my truck seems to keep the parasitic drains away & the batteries topped off @ all times. Any other equipment I have that is 24v with batteries will get a solarizer to keep the batteries already to go.

I used to work for an old gentleman who loved to buy ex military gensets, trucks, equipment & put them in his yard to rent. His batteries were always dead when he needed the piece of equipment. These solarizers would have been the cats meow for his problem, but they weren't around then. The battery bill would have paid for the solarizers easily!
FloridaAKM, I'll be attaching a pmw solar charger soon with large enough panel(s) to do the job. Two tiny beer coaster sized panels... laugh, grumble, laugh, grumble... Whats the point. I still need to decide if it's worth the effort to go all 12v or keep the 24v.

scal67

if its the round black item, its for checking the level of the electrolyte in the lead acid batteries. level only not specific gravity.

Last edited: