• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog 404.1 with pertronix ignition, and coil

svanhorn

I just got this 1962 404.1, and a previous owner had done the civilian ignition conversion with the Pertronix coil, and module. Both are being fed 24v. My question is, is that ok, or should they be fed 12v? They had also installed an electric fuel pump, and it was fed from the same source as the module, and it was dead. I assume the high voltage killed it. I installed a new electric pump, and ran a ground wire from the connection between the batteries to it so it has only 12v, but I can't do the same with the Pertronix components.

Any suggestions? I'd hate to be out on a trail, and have the module, or coil fry.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never checked if they do make 24 Volt versions, but you may want to find out.

And why couldn't you feed the Pertronics 12 volts from a relay? That's how I made the 12 volt shut-off solenoid on my M1008 work with 24.

Pohl

I just got this 1962 404.1, and a previous owner had done the civilian ignition conversion with the Pertronix coil, and module. Both are being fed 24v. My question is, is that ok, or should they be fed 12v? They had also installed an electric fuel pump, and it was fed from the same source as the module, and it was dead. I assume the high voltage killed it. I installed a new electric pump, and ran a ground wire from the connection between the batteries to it so it has only 12v, but I can't do the same with the Pertronix components.

Any suggestions? I'd hate to be out on a trail, and have the module, or coil fry.
The Pertronix unit should be the UM161. It is made to accomodate a 24V power. There is a newer version, the MV161 as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks