• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unit designation for 1986 M1008 CUCV

142 MP

I am new to steel soldiers and am inquiring as to where the best place would be to post a question regarding the proper unit designation labeling for an M1008 CUCV. With the help of my units’s former wheeled vehicle mechanic, we have restored this vehicle mechanically from front to back/ top to bottom. I want to know the proper way to post our unit designation on the vehicle with the proper font size and stencils. We do have a hard copy of TB 43, but it still seems very confusing. I have also scoured the blogs but can’t seem to find a definitive answer. Since I want to be correct, where would be the best place to post this question?

Guyfang

Staff member
You need to first answer two questions for yourself.

1. What unit do you want the truck to be from?
2. What time frame do you want the truck to reflect?

These things dictate what a truck will look like. There are standard paint guide lines. But that can change if the unit were to say, deploy. Driving around in the desert in a green pained truck, could and did happen, but the Military tries not to do that. The I.D. markings can and do sometimes change. The TB is a guideline. Commanders can and do have the last word on I.D. markings. For the I.D. markings, its a very good idea to find pictures of THAT unit, in the time frame you want the truck to have. I helped someone here in the forum with a M1008, from the Cav, during a defined time frame. We could not find pictures anyplace. We had about a 98% "guess". It was close, but still not right. In the end I wrote a letter to the 2nd Cav . They sent me to a 2nd Cav Veterans group, who sent me to a guy who was the S3's driver, who found a picture of him standing in front of his M1008. Its kinda like playing the Clue board game.

Below is the thread I am talking about.
CUCV Markings in Army Service in Germany in the late 80s

142 MP

I reviewed your reply multiple times and I am still trying to figure out where to post. I know you said below is the thread I should post in, but I don’t see anything there. I don’t wanna run a foul of the moderators so could you please provide me with some guidance? Thank you.

142 MP

I reviewed your reply multiple times and I am still trying to figure out where to post. I know you said below is the thread I should post in, but I don’t see anything there. I don’t wanna run a foul of the moderators so could you please provide me with some guidance? Thank you.

142 MP

I served in the New York Guard from 1988 through 2011. When I retired, I held the rank of lieutenant colonel and was the battalion commander of the 1st battalion, 142nd military police regiment, 14th brigade, New York Guard. I have been restoring a 1986 M1008 CUCV. I would like to set the truck up with all the proper markings. Although I have a copy of the required TB for paint and markings, I find it confusing. I would need four military police paint masks, two unit ID paint masks, and two truck number ID paint masks. Can anyone advise as to what the paint masks should look like, font and size? Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks