• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Universal Joint M1009

JamieM1009

Hey

So i ordered a new UJ from rockauto, thinking it was the right one but when it came it was too big and due to the postage costs from the UK its not worth me sending it back. Trying to be resourceful I cleaned out the cup from the old UJ that had no bearings in, greased it up and took the needle bearings out of one of the new cups & put them in the old empty one. I cleaned up the old UJ a bit, mostly the damaged cup but also its opposite and then reassembled it. The opposite cup had all its original bearings in & was fine. Greased it all up & then put it all back on. It went in fine & the cups do rotate. Haven't been for a run in it yet as didnt have time but im guessing it will be ok to drive as it is? I did move the truck a couple of yards forward & back & it rotated fine. Does anyone think there will be any major issue if i drive it???

I have managed to find the correct one online & have ordered it but it will probably take 7-10 days to get to me.

Thanks

IMAG0912.jpgIMAG0913.jpgIMAG0914.jpgIMAG0915.jpg

lostintexas

You could drive in 4wd until the replacement comes in. Then if it does snap just slip the drive shaft off and come on home in 2wd. Another option is drive it and if it does snap then remove drive shaft and put it in 4wd. The only issue here is getting the hubs to lock it since it take about 1 full rotation of the tires before they engage.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the numbers on that joint, I'm guessing is a 1350 for a 3/4 or 1 ton. Spicer number for a 1350 joint is 5-178X and I see 178 in the part number.

JamieM1009

I looked at a friend m1008 today and it looked more like the one for his. I've found what I believe to be the right one just wondered if these uj's are ever prone to breaking . Now I've refurbed the old one it must be better having grease and some bearings in!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say it would work on the short term. I think it will give you some warning before it explodes.

Sergeant1983

U joints a real tough. Unless you are doing hard accelerations, you would get the same indications before a catastrophic failure. I have done the same thing years ago when I was stationed overseas. Got the wrong u joint and made it work until the next replacement came in. Just had to drive it easy until the next payday and shipping time. It was like a month and a half if I remember right. Was a 5.0 Mastang, so I really had to keep my foot under control. LOL

JamieM1009

Thanks all, will try and give it a run out asap just to see if my other issues have cleared up. Will take it easy on the gas!

JamieM1009

New uj arrived yesterday, correct one this time. All fitted, a little stiff but can be moved by one hand. Just need to give it a run out.

dmetalmiki

Glad you received and fitted the correct part ok. Next time if you have this problem, just go to your local bearing supply factor, with measurements or the originals and they will most certainly replace easily those U.J.s (for metric equivalents) easily.

Skinny

It should be a Spicer 1310 U-Joint throughout the M1009 driveline if I remember correctly. If you cannot find a source locally, I would try and find something that has this size joint in it that is sold by you. I believe all Toyota front shafts in the last decade have this size joint. This is very common in Jeeps as well. If you can cross something over, you may be able to score one over the counter at a dealership if you don't want to pay for shipping overseas.

I would not want to run a U-joint of mix and matched parts unless it was going to get me home.