• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

unknown auxilliary transmission

kastein

Does anyone have a pic of one so i know what im looking for? Im thinking it looks like a divorced tranny right? I dont mind checking for you. Saturn Surplus is about .5 miles from me, in one direction, and Colemans is 3 miles the other direction. And there is a big rig wrecking yard up the road a little ways too!

Edit: Also, what was the common vehicle they came in?
Someone in St Louis has one forsale $450
... is it easy to find jobs around there?! :D

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the one described in the first post is likely not the model series described (shown) in the table on that website - -those are apparently for smaller trucks?? -note the torque figures.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found these documents and also took some notes, maybe it can help. I'm sorry if there are repetitions. The grail is at about 0.75 for the 5T truck. In some cases and I am not sure which, the OD ratio for the aux transmission depends on the -A, -B, etc. designation if any.- it looks like the 8031 is the best one to get for keeping RPMs down. The NHC250 is rated best at 1800-2100RPM

spicer 5831's FINAL RATIOS:
5831 "NO LETTER" 0.73, ALL SHOULD BE 580 FT-LB ACCORDING TO THE NUMBERING SYSTEM BUT THE WEBSITE SAYS:
Spicer 5831 Auxiliary Transmission Data
Length 18-13/23"
Torque 275 lbs. ft.
Horsepower 150
PTO 6 bolt-R/L
U-joint series 1410-1650

A 0.73
B 0.85
C 0.85
D 0.85
E 0.73
F 1.0
G 1.0

Spicer 6041 4-Speed Auxiliary 600 ft lbs 52MPH->60.5MPH
2.14:1
1.24:1
1.00:1
0.86:1

Spicer 7041 4-Speed Auxiliary 700 ft lbs 52MPH->62.6MPH
2.31:1
1.21:1
1.00:1
0.83:1

I think No.2Diesel said:

Spicer/Brown Lipe 8031C 3spd. Auxilliary. 800 ft lbs
Underdrive:--2.59:1
Direct:--------1.00:1
Overdrive:----.75:1

"Ok, here are some pics of the Spicer 8031C. Its an oldy but goodie. The Teeth & synchros look
great and the bearings have no wiggle. All it needs is a good wire wheel, paint and some gaskets.
They were nice enough to throw in a jackshaft and the original shifter. The shifter looks to be a
pretty simple affair.
Note the pic of the jackshafts next to each other. One is the original Mil. unit and the other came
with the Aux. box. The Civi. unit has .5" larger shaft diameter (3.25") than the 2.75" Mil. unit. The
Civi also has a larger section mudulus in the yoke department. Were not sure at this point to
change all the u-joints to the larger size. The flange on both Mil & Civi have the same bolt circle
and flange dia.
Maybe its better to snap a u-joint/driveshaft or two instead of blowing up gear boxes/t-cases etc.
We may just convert over as time goes on after the projects completed."

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks