• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unknown, But Probably Missing Plug

FarmerLee

Hi Folks. I'm a new 925A1 owner learning about a lot of systems and operations I have no experience with. Came across a kind of scary one this weekend while I was crawling around underneath trying to trace lines and wires, just for general knowledge purposes. I came across what looks to be a plug opening for liquid drainage that didn't have a plug inserted. I've attached two pictures, one a close up and one from further away to give the context. It's the lower circular opening that I'm worried about. It's right behind (aft of for the USN guys) the oil pan and right in front of what I think to be the trans fluid reservoir. All liquids I know of (oil, coolant, power steering, winch hydraulic, etc.) are full up and have been the whole time. Whatever leaked out of this has not messed with the vehicle operations -- to my knowledge. It's threaded inside and about 7/8 inch in diameter. Could it be a transfer case drain. I just spent 3 hours with the TMs and could not locate instructions or pictures for draining or filling the transfer case. Can anyone let me know what it is? Is the absence of a plug normal or should I be in panic mode? Can I drive without it? What shouldn't I do with the vehicle without a plug inserted? Where do I get a replacement. Thanks a lot.Context of drain.jpgClose up of drain.jpg

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plug is right where it should be stored in the top hole , that plug is for fording and covered in the -10 operators manual along with a lot of other information that prevent expensive damage or injury from improper operation .
Here is a link to the -10 TM ; TM9-2320-272-10.pdf
TM9-2320-272-10 Operations manual for the M939 series trucks. Sept 2004

dmetalmiki

Thats an good picture. I first thought it might be a fording plug hole. (the plug in the other hole bieng removed and placed in the other for fording and back again when not fording). But, though interesting reading the TM (2320-272-24-1 shows no plugs? and only fording to 30". would that depth "flood" the case? will someone knowedgeable post up a solution.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats an good picture. I first thought it might be a fording plug hole. (the plug in the other hole bieng removed and placed in the other for fording and back again when not fording). But, though interesting reading the TM (2320-272-24-1 shows no plugs? and only fording to 30". would that depth "flood" the case? will someone knowedgeable post up a solution.
[h=1]Plug missing in front of tranny on 923[/h]

FarmerLee

I think porkysplace nailed it. On page 2-220 of the operator's TM it shows a perfect drawing of the flywheel housing drain plug. It also describes the "optional" fording kit and recommends against fording water deeper than 78 inches. I guess everyone gets the flywheel housing drain plug even if you don't have the deep water fording kit. The housing would surely be flooded in six foot water. I didn't know flywheels were drained into the open air and still don't know what is supposed to be drained. I never would have thought to try to search for that in the TMs. Thanks guys.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It is AMAZING the dumb questions that could be AVOIDED if the -10 (owners manual ) is read.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you close off the hole then rear main seal leakage could flood clutch if you have one or just fill up the housing. Not good ether way but you can also put in a ball valve in there and make it easy to close/open when needed.

Last edited:

jasonjc

I like people who ask dumb question!

:whistle:

That way I don't have to ask them:wink:.

This was meant to be funny!!!!! Just in case it doesn't read as so.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, question has been asked before. Yes, it is a DARN good idea to read the -10. Yes, there are some VERY intelligent people concerning military vehicles on this site. Yes, it will probably be asked again, along with a LOT of other questions that have been answered before. YES, I remember when I was new here, when I didn't know a lot bout trucks or CUCV's either. I asked questions. I was made to feel welcome. I was shown where the answers could be found. Sometimes, they gave me the TM number and such. "FarmerLee" don't take it too hard. We are a bunch of guyz and girlz that LOVE our trucks and the ability to drive them. MOST of us want SAFETY first!! Hence why we ask that ya read the operators manual. It says quite a bit. These are big and dangerous vehicles. They can wipe out an entire family in nothing flat. Maybe your own!??!? So, I for one am VERY glad you asked!! ASK away when it comes to safety! Rather ask, than die cause I was too proud to admit I didn't know!! Most of us mean well! Hang around. Do some reading. Stay safe!!

WELCOME ABOARD!!! *the green Iron Disease is permanent!*

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"Everybody doesn't know something at sometimes" Butchism #29
"Just because you know something doesn't mean you know everything" Butchism #52
The point I was trying to make was ,people need to try to help themselves if they want us to help, READING the -10 is a must for self help, If someone does not have time to read the -10, then we do not have to offer a answer without a comment.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rod he said right off he look at the tms and miss it.
Porky handle it the right way by leading him to what he needed
No one should be rude by saying what a stupid question.
You have the option not to say anything.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While I understand the tech manuals have all the info you need, not everyone has served. When I got my truck, I had no clue there was such a thing available to me. If it wasn't for the folks I met on here helping me, I would have been up "SH" creek. I eventually learned about them, but still, thats the quickest way to put me asleep(or listen to Ron tell a story, but I digress)!

I'm sure we'll work through this, tomorrow is a new day.

FarmerLee

Thanks for the kind encouragement, Tony. Of course the TMs (once discovered by a new guy) should be read. I wish there were some sort of learning about HOW to search the doggone things. 8 Kazillion pages, a two page table of contents, a twelve page index and what happens if you don't know the word for the issue you are trying to describe? I get it that the vets should be upset if they think that new guys are just being lazy and trying to avoid book time themselves. But it's not always that. It took a heck of a long time to search the word "plug" in the operator's TM and four maintenance TMs and I blew right past the explanation because I never put Plug together with Fording together with Flywheel. In any event, thanks for the patience to those that actually exhibit it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Lee, if you open a TM in PDF form, you can search the pdf.

Once you open the document, right click on the body and you will get some options, chose "find" and you can search for words.

Last edited:

FarmerLee

Thanks, GR. Never heard of that before, but tried it and it worked. Hallelujah. Have the TMs on my lap top in .pdf form so now I'm good to go in the barn or in the truck.

fasttruck

Plug is a pipe end which is stored in the upper position as shown in the photo. For use get 1/2" drive or piece of 1/2 square stock in the BIIL and the supplied adjustable wrench and remove it from storage position and thread into lower hole for use. It is a good idea of see if this will turn out before it is needed and put it back with never seize applied.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks