• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unknown CUCV starting problem

notin_but_steel

So here is my issue. I looked at other threads but could not seem to find anything else like it for my 86 m1009.
The truck has a mind of its own. So here is a play by play. If you get in and turn the key wait light comes on, wait, glow plugs pop, light goes off turn the ignition, nothing happens, you can hear 1 click as the key turns. sometimes if you turn the key 3 or 4 times the truck MIGHT start.
Here is the catch. the other night I was driving it and the 30 fuse for my lights litterally melted in place but there was no short on any of the wires to the lights. since then I replaced that with a fusible link. Also, when the key is tuned to 'start' position something near the glowplugs or they themselves will spark. And to top it all while i was cleaning all the ends of the wires at the fire wall i found a thing that i believe is a ' suppressor' that has 3 resistors twisted together on about a 3 to 4 inch wire, but one of them was broken on one side. As far as the starter goes. when the truck does want to start it doesnt hesitate. it will turn over on like 4 or 5 cranks.
Please help. I just bought mine so I apologize if i dont understand some of the stuff. do your best to dumb it down for me. appreciate cha

jdeoliveira74

Sounds like you have maybe a bad ignition switch. But the rest of the stuff sounds like you have a short some where. fuses don't just melt for no reason I would keep looking!

notin_but_steel

found the problem. It was the started relay under the dash. its a small silver rectangle box for you that dont know.

It had got small metal shavings, i dont know how, plugged up in the magnet part. So i took some sand paper and some electrical cleaner and gave it a quick once over and havent had a problem since. MAKE SURE TO DISCONECT IT

CycleJay

Hello Notin,

If I were you, I would suggest doing what they call the "Doghead starter relay mod".
And replace your original starter relay with the one mentioned in the mod instructions.

The original relay has a flawed design that could cause it to stick, and fry your starter,
alternators, fusible links, etc. and cause expensive damage.

I did it myself on my 1985 M1009, and have not regretted it, my truck starts quickly every time,
and never have any problems, and never have to worry about having problems.

If you ever need a question answered, feel free to pm me.... I have learned alot from the people on here,
since I got my 1985 M1009 over two years ago...

Good luck...