• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unknown rattling near torque converter

Nick K

I have a 1985 M1010, transmission has been rebuilt and engine overhauled. Took it out noticed a class 3 leak coming from the transfer case and front drive shaft, got about 120 miles and all of a sudden it sounded like marbles in a tin can coming from under the 4wd shifter. When this happened I lost the ability to accelerate engine did not sputter or change idol. Got the thing off the road and sitting still the noise continued as well as when I shifted it into 2nd, 1st, N, R, and P. Shut it off and sat for a minute, transmission fluid level was good. Started the truck up and was able to get 1/4 a mile and same thing happened. In 4H and 4L the same thing would occur and I would have to keep stopping. At one point the truck would not move at all, but eventually did. Mechanic said no shavings in the transmission pan or in the transfer case. He has since replaced the case but has not been able to replicate the issue. Has anyone has this problem or was it just the loss of fluid from the transfer case that caused this?

Thanks all in advance

Nick K

My first guess was going to be the flex plate was cracked/broken, but it seems to be in the T case.
He thought that as well, but if im not mistaken he checked it and I think the flex plate was good to go. But in the off chance it is broken wouldn't the issue be consistent?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks