• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unlocking steering colume

2002ford

Hello everyone, I bought a truck off of GL with no keys. Its not a cucv but it is a k3500. Could I use a slide hammer and a big self taping screw to pull the key lock out or is an easier way to unlock it so I can turn the wheels. My trailor is narrow and I know it wont roll on perfect.

Thanks in advance,
Doug.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What year is it?

You can pull a steering link.

You could pull the steering wheel and remove the steering lock.

You could hire a wrecker to lift it.

You could go to Harbor Freight and buy a set of wheel skates.

You could call a locksmith.

2002ford

Its a 1990 k3500. Its coming out of Bella Chase La. I have to get it at a GL lot that has no GL assistance. I have mounted a winch on my trailor to pull it but I will have to be able to steer. I dont care about the colume myself. I just bought the truck for parts.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
fastest, easiest thing is to pop the drag link off with pliers, an wrench and a hammer(smack the metal where it is tapered).

Next easiest would be to pull the steering wheel and remove the steering lock.

2002ford

How long would pulling the steering wheel take? Would I need any special tools. I dont know how much time they will give me to load. I thought about the drag link but the front tires have to go over the edge of the trailer fender. That would cause the wheel to turn and I wouldnt be able to steer by hand.

Thanks Doghead.:D

Barrman

You can also use a screw driver on the top of the column between the wheel and the column. Push the pin back, turn the wheel and then repeat until it is steering the direction you want. Takes a while, but no special tools are needed and the truck is still all together.

I would suggest reading the manual about how to remove the ignition cylinder, buying a steering wheel puller, lock plate compressor and spend the 10 minutes needed to pull the cylinder yourself. That will be the best solution in the long run.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the deck of your trailer is steel, you can do wonders with dish soap and snatch block. Very few roll backs on the road without dish soap. Other than that, good suggestions above. All of them will work to some degree oc certainty. Studying how the lock works as Tim mentioned will help you defeat it. Pics expected. Is this the old body crew cab?

Edit, I figured out what truck you won. Also checked out your trailer from the Oh-9 recovery. That crewcab has a 13'8" wheelbase. Is the deck on your trailer that long? Will the back tires be right on top of your tie downs? Things to consider before you depart.

Last edited:

2002ford

Same trailer but I removed the box on the front. I also added a 5k winch on it. I figure I can put the front of the truck out as far as the box was. The back tires will be near the end of the trailor. The trailer has tie down points on the sides also so I shouldnt have a problem securing it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire width will be a bit narrower on the K3500 as it has narrower tires and rims. Removable fenders ( A mod worth considering) can also be a help. Mini Js or frame hooks can be a blessing when you are tying down a vehicle of that length.

2002ford

It should be interesting recovery. LOL.... I am going to put my truck up on it and do some practicing. The two trucks should be the same wheelbase. If it doesnt fit I will be in some deep dodo.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a friend who would buy cars at tow yard auctions to flip and sell, and they almost never came with a key. He'd just call the local locksmith who would come out and for $40 would impression a key. It took about 15 minutes.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was watching those trucks. Make sure you wear your hazmat suit during your recovery.:wink:

Riftweaver

I would suggest the disconnection of the pitman arm or disconnecting the steering column shaft under the hood as well. Sometimes those steering wheels don't come off without a puller. Yes, sometimes they do, other times they won't. Disconnecting it under the hood would be a sure thing and you wouldn't be wrecking any sellable parts. If it's the same as other GM columns, you would also need a lock plate depresser tool and such to be able to get down at the screw that holds in the cylinder. You can do it with time at home.

The liquid soap or Tide is a great idea too. I have a few friends that use that idea in the recovery business as well. Lay down some slip-n-slide and winch er up.

2002ford

Thanks everyone. I was going to read up on the steering wheel removal. I have to go out and measure the trailer.

Warthog- I was thinking of just pulling the seats and spraying it out with a pressure washer. Lol. It does look alittle moldy. I hope the axles are still good in it. I can scrap the rest to make most of my expensise back.:grin:

2002ford

Well I measured my trailor. Its 16.6 feet long so I shouldnt have a problem if its wheelbase is 13.8. Its going to hang off the back some. I also tried the screwdriver trick pushing the locking pin. It was pretty easy. Worst case scenerio I will break the pin.

scrambled

Pull the steering wheel with a puller. Pop off the collar and blinker assembly. change out switch.

You can buy an ignigtion switch for 10 bucks from the parts store. The steering wheel puller was 8 bucks and the screwdriver thingy for compressing the spring above the blinker was around 12 bucks.

I can change an ignition switch in the column in under 5 minutes. Easy stuff. It impresses the GL guys.