• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unused port on fuel sending unit?? pic inside

DTL

I saw in my brief search that a capped 3rd line leaving the fuel tank is not uncommon on these trucks, but does anyone know if it is a vent or a pick-up? I'm looking at adding an in-bed fuel tank and I'm wondering if I can use this spare fitting as a fill point.

Edit: picture was upside down. d'oh! aua

Attachments

Last edited:

dstang97

I dont want to guess, but I think that the gassers and the diesels use the same part. That would go to the charcoal canister. Hopefully someone will know.

DTL

I *could* just pull it and see, but as you can tell from the picture, GM (in their infinite wisdom and foresight) placed the sending unit EXACTLY between the cab and bed. Basically, they force you to drop the tank to pull the sending unit. Of course, I have a full tank at the moment. Jerks.

blackhueys

draining the tank is what its for. the stock fuel line has a t fitting up by the pass side tire area just under the flap this is where the arctic heaters connect to.

notsosanestan

would be a good spot to pressurize the fuel system when trying to start her after changing filter or running out of fuel

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
I saw in my brief search that a capped 3rd line leaving the fuel tank is not uncommon on these trucks, but does anyone know if it is a vent or a pick-up? I'm looking at adding an in-bed fuel tank and I'm wondering if I can use this spare fitting as a fill point.

Edit: picture was upside down. d'oh! aua
Your middle line is a drain. The line closest to the cab is your return and the line closest to the bed is your feed. Reference TM 9-2320-289-20 page 3-32 and figure 3-13. And Im wearing flip flops.

DTL

I was able to verify that it feeds from the bottom of the tank. We needed a little fuel for the heater the other day so one of the guys pressurized the tank slightly. We were able to freely draw the 5gal we wanted from that capped port. Hopefully I'll never *need* to drain that tank, but if I do, it's cool that there's a fitting in place to do so!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks