• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Up armoring a 5 ton

kcimb

Many of the more popular and successful armored vehicles are based off of truck frames-basically custom made armored bodies bolted onto heavy cargo truck frames.

The M53/59 praga, OT64, BRDM2, OT65, Tatrapan, Saxon, Humber Pig, Peacekeeper,piglet, V100, etc are all armoured bodies on truck frames.

The idea came to me as I watched Howe and Howe (pretty cool show, BTW). Weld up a fairly decent steel body, bob the 5 ton frame, and rewire the controls and steering. Perhaps add AC, some bench seats in the back and a decent door in the rear.

Perfectly doable, I think. I've seen some of the engineering done on this site that really impressed me (Baby Hemmt, WGTI in particular) and I think it could be done. The welding part would make it kind of hard and limited to a few, but the idea is awesome none the less.

I had no clue what section this belonged in, but the mods do.

They know everything.

eldgenb

I saw that episode, they made it look easy with there special programs and plasma bed. I would not go that far unless I was being a menace to south central while drinking my juice in the hood.:driver:

kcimb

I saw that episode, they made it look easy with there special programs and plasma bed. I would not go that far unless I was being a menace to south central while drinking my juice in the hood.:driver:
Yeah, they had all sorts of cool stuff but this is SS, home of triple redneck engineering. We can do anything.

I designed and built battlebots back in the day for comedy central's TV show using mostly pencils and engineering paper. I'm pretty sure I could design something cool...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks