• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upcoming road trip: Ft. Riley, KS to Florida Keys

belmor

I am making plans/preparations for a recovery of my M923 at Ft. Riley, KS. Right now I am leaning toward flying in, taking a cab to the yard and then heading out.

Truck is "allegedly" in very good condition, no issues reported on the condition report other than needing a jump start. We shall see.

Questions:
1.) Does anyone know if Ft. Riley will jump the truck off for me? I am going to drive to an auto parts store and change the batteries but was hoping to at least get it off property first.

2.) Guesses on fuel mileage for this truck? I have driven our club's M931 and guessed 7-8 mpg but that truck is running strictly WVO and fuel is "free" so not as closely monitored.

As long as I don't have an catastrophic failure I estimate the recovery will cost around $1000 in fuel/hotel rooms. Compared to $4-5k to ship it, I can deal with it.

~B~

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am making plans/preparations for a recovery of my M923 at Ft. Riley, KS. Right now I am leaning toward flying in, taking a cab to the yard and then heading out.

Truck is "allegedly" in very good condition, no issues reported on the condition report other than needing a jump start. We shall see.

Questions:
1.) Does anyone know if Ft. Riley will jump the truck off for me? I am going to drive to an auto parts store and change the batteries but was hoping to at least get it off property first.

2.) Guesses on fuel mileage for this truck? I have driven our club's M931 and guessed 7-8 mpg but that truck is running strictly WVO and fuel is "free" so not as closely monitored.

As long as I don't have an catastrophic failure I estimate the recovery will cost around $1000 in fuel/hotel rooms. Compared to $4-5k to ship it, I can deal with it.

~B~

Prepare for the worst. Take a "Good" credit card! Laptop with TM'S loaded in. Stay in touch with S.Soldiers along the way. Wishing you an uneventful recovery.

Triple C

Unless things have changed, they won't give you a jump start but they do have a list of wrecker companies that will come out and do that. If I recall, it's about $100, but that may not be correct, it's been a while. I averaged 5.8 mpg on my 925 from Riley to KC. Good luck and keep us posted.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Belmor I got my 925 out of Ft Riley, I had a good friend get the truck off post for me and I essentially went through the fluids, did a cursory check on tires belts batts. and the next morning I drove it 500 miles home with the only issue being a headlight that the low beam went out on, a piece of duct tape on that and I was on the road again! Understand that my saying this I am not saying anything concerning your truck, you may want to send a pile of tools ahead of you so that you have them in the truck with you when you start your journey, just in case! Good luck if all goes well it will be a fun trip for you!
KK

belmor

Trip planning is in process.

I am flying to MHK on Sunday the 21st, I hate to miss Father's Day with my kids but normally I would be working the night before and the night of and be asleep or at work anyway. Got a room booked near(ish) the base. Will take a cab to the hotel and then again to the base on Monday AM to be there when they open at 0800.

Going to get the truck boosted off and drive it to an auto parts store where I will test/replace batteries as needed and buy some oil and basic tools for the trip that I can't fly with.

From there I am heading out. I have to be back in FL by 0800 on Weds the 24th so I will be driving non-stop with naps taken across the seats when I need to. I had a friend that was going to go with me and help drive but he backed out at the last minute so-solo it is!

belmor

Man, that's a pretty tight schedule. It doesn't leave any room for breakdowns etc. Good luck and take pictures!
I know, finger crossed! If I had someone that could pick it up prior I could get there Sunday and hit the road immediately, unfortunately as it is I have to wait until they open Monday morning

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If everything goes perfectly that's a 35 hour drive. I think you're cutting it too close.

500 miles a day in these things is pushing it. I've done a bunch of recoveries over 1000 miles, and one that meandered close to 4000miles. I would not plan for more than 500 miles per day. Frequently I end up not making 500 miles per day...

Driving one of these while tired to the point of falling asleep at the wheel (which you'll be courting) fits my definition of dangerous to the point of fantasy.

Suggestion - have that thing towed to an RV storage place. Spend $400ish to buy yourself 8 weeks or so for trip planning when you can devote 5 days to the drive and have an enjoyable leisurely trip instead of a miserable chore. ..

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Suggestion - have that thing towed to an RV storage place. Spend $400ish to buy yourself 8 weeks or so for trip planning when you can devote 5 days to the drive and have an enjoyable leisurely trip instead of a miserable chore. ..

Ditto.....we have a member that lives close to Riley. He has made recoveries before and I think he works for the local scrap company. His name is Glen and he is good folks. I can't remember his screen name.

If you can get hold of him he can prob recover the vehicle and prep it for you for a reasonable sum.

By cutting your timeline so close you have almost no margin for error or mischief by Mr, Murphy.

I just drove a M934 180 miles and with the heat you are going to be glad to get out of that truck if you make 500 miles a day.

belmor

I got in touch with Glen, great guy-unfortunately he works full time and can't get free-going to look into tow companies next-at least to get it off the base, if I can pick it up Sunday I should be good with three days for driving.

~B~

FloridaAKM

If you can pull off this on the schedule you have provided, you are one tuff guy with the luck of the Irish & Murphy will be in southern California the entire trip! I wish you much luck & will ask for updates as you progress! May the Lord look over you during your recovery.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
God's speed and guidance to ya!! Hope and pray all works out well. Don't think I would do it, but I'm gettin older and slower. Please stay safe for every ones sake!!

belmor

I found a tow company about 15 min away that is going to go get the truck and move it to their yard Thursday so I can pick it up and start my trip directly on Sunday, gives me a much larger window to get home and should be less stressful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks