• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Update on Camper build w/pics

Duckworthe

A few have been asking me for some pics of my camper build and a few have come to the house to look at it. So I figured I would post a couple pics. I am very much enjoying the truck and it really does go anywhere that I have wanted to go. I scratch it up and bounce off a few boulders now and then but that's why I built it in the first place. For those who are building currently and those who are thinking about it, Do it you wont regret it! And just like the rest of you, no it isn't finished and never will be. LOL:naner:
Thanks to all who post on this site and who have been helping me along the way, You know who you are.
Eric

truck2.jpgtruck3.jpgtruck4.jpgtruck.jpg

Lmtv772

Banned
Great Job, Eric
I would love to see a review from you with a road test on youtube. How does the truck handle with that camper? You're truck doesn't have ABS, so I am curious as to how that affects performance. How about responding to turns?
Again it looks very cool. Is the camper removable? I would probably build one that I can disconnect in the wilderness and still be able to drive around without the camper.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great, would love more details and pictures. I've been planning to place a m109 box on my m931a2 for over a year but haven't made it very far due to other projects.

DanM7890

I love the fact it's strong enough for a bike on the back. What's it made from? I like how it comes out off the bed in the rear at an angle for more room.

Last edited:

Bobcat701

Wow, that is a beautiful truck. I am turning mine into a troop transport, literally. Installed seatbelts in the back and bolted down the troop seats. Now I can haul 15 Boy scouts from my troop. I will take pictures this weekend then post them. Again, love your truck.

Duckworthe

Great Job, Eric
I would love to see a review from you with a road test on youtube. How does the truck handle with that camper? You're truck doesn't have ABS, so I am curious as to how that affects performance. How about responding to turns?
Again it looks very cool. Is the camper removable? I would probably build one that I can disconnect in the wilderness and still be able to drive around without the camper.
I wish I had the knowledge to make a youtube video, my vcr still flashes 1200! LOL
The truck handles very well on and off road. I did my emergency brake test from 25mph to stop. It was raining and it still stopped at full load in 10 feet. CHP was shocked and said that I had to stop in a max of 30 feet! I did have a car cut me off on an off ramp while I was going 45mph. I hit the brakes and left some serious skids down the median. I went back past it the next day going to work and they were wide black skids but were perfectly straight for about 30 feet. At full load out with bike and everything else I weighed in at 22450lbs. My truck plate on the door states that GVW is 25770 on my truck. I wheel the heck out of it and it has been wonderful so far. I am very happy with it. But now want the 6x6! The camper is not easily removable (as per cal rules for RV registration) but can be. I probably never will remove it.
Thanks for the kind remarks,
Eric

Duckworthe

I love the fact it's strong enough for a bike on the back. What's it made from? I like how it comes out off the bed in the rear at an angle for more room.
The perimeter frame is made of 2x3 steel for the strength to be able to 1. support the bike 2. be able to winch to the box to pull it back onto its wheels or keep it from tipping. If I was to hit a tree limb or boulder the skin will get bent but not the frame.

Duckworthe

I will bet some more pics up as soon as I can of the frame and interior. Spent the last few weekends out in the desert and mountains. But this past weekend I was installing the AC.

Duckworthe

Its worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it. To me its priceless because it can go anywhere i want to go. And if i dont want to camp near others i dont have to. Yesterday i used it to pull 3 trees down that had to be removed. Roots and all! So its also my tractor around the property. Use it for work, then go in and get lunch and take a nooner with ac, Priceless!

Anthonyca

Great truck and camper! You mentioned wanting a 6x6, how much do you think that would impact trail driving?

Duckworthe

Great truck and camper! You mentioned wanting a 6x6, how much do you think that would impact trail driving?
It would be a little tougher in tight trail turning I'm sure but where I live out west I think it would be fine. Well, except for the trail that was a sheer cliff up through the mountains! Probably wouldn't have made those turns and all. Lol

Duckworthe

Truck on mountain.jpg
Having a great time with the truck. This was just a overnight trip out hiking the local mountains on San Diego/Mexico border. I still need to finish up some cabinet doors and trim at this point. Also get my new tires and hot water heater from a new Good friend in Kentucky that I met a few months ago on this amazing site. I have had many couples drive and fly in to San Diego to see the truck in person. It has been great to see their faces and excitement towards getting and building there own truck/camper. As you all know, these trucks are neck breakers when you drive them around. People cant help but stop, stare, and like them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks