• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Update to UPDATE;My new m1009 ( already knee deep)

pc3nmcb

Picked up my ride today at Drexel Gardens, and the fun began. The starter spun like it had a bad seloniod. On closer look it was missing starter bolts,so I winched it on the trailer and headed home thinking someone needed them worse than me. I bought knew ones to put in and found that it was way worse, the bolts were broken off in the block. So I guess tommorrow I will try to fix that. Other wise it is great shape one rust spot on tailgate and a few surface spots. It has a solar charger that appears to work and all the radio hookups minus radio.

P.S I think the starter is gonna be bad, you can see where they were hitting it. :oops:

Attachments

tlm47201

Well hopefully they will spin out ok. I sure enjoy my M1009. It only turned out to have a bad battery. Next Friday I pick 3 up for Choll, hope they're runners.I want to get a M1008, or M1028 so I can sell my Dodge(sucks too much fuel).

appnut1

When you remove the broken bolts and put in new ones make sure you buy and install the little bracket that holds the other end of the starter or you will be doing it all over again. If you hve really bad luck it will break the ear if the block if you do not use the bracket mentioned above. The bracket is a simple part available from Chevy or maybe a scrap yard

rizzo

pc3nmcb said:
I have the bracket. I'm just hoping to be able get the bolts out.
I used reverse drill bits and some easy outs for broken knucle studs and was pleased at how easy it was

good luck

mangus580

I have had good luck by welding a nut to the broken off bolt. coat the area around it with never-sieze first, to help keep the nut from sticking.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is great that it came with the antennea. You should be able to get them out with drilling heating and ez outs. I always heat any more too many that screwed up just because I was doing it cold.

jj

Had a similar problem on my 1009. I had to replace the starter and i used new bolts from the chevy store. No torque wrench or any such high tech device, just tightened them up. A few weeks later i noticed a half a broken bolt in the snowy mess where the truck had been parked. Fearing the worst, i fished out the starter, only to discover the NEW bolt had broken at the end of the threaded portion, about a half-inch INSIDE the block. "Oy,this ain't good!",i thought. Fellow at the hardware store (old fashioned, small town, hardwood floor, hardware store) sells me a plastic box with five extractors. The man said," Everyone swears by these." I used the biggest one that fit the hole, in a 400RPM cordless driver/drill and the broken piece spun right out. I had LIBERALLY used anti-sieze when i screwed it in. The moral of the story would seem to be trust your counterman and always lubricate your bolt before you screw it in. And, yes the front bracket was in place, i am chalking the whole thing up to "on any given day, any given bolt can break." The new new bolts are alloy steel socket head cap screws. Considerably stonger than the rating stamped on the head of the GM bolts, at least according to my McMaster-Carr book.

Somemedic

Might have to remove that bell housing shield pan thingy to get the drill in place. They usually back right out. I did it with a regular drill bit in rev once... got lucky. Easy outs are the best though

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"bell housing shield pan thingy "

this is one of the reasons i LOVE this site so much, im constently learning the names of the verious MV parts.

ps., i did a search for THINGY, you would be surprised how many thingys are on MVs

pc3nmcb

Update: I got the bolts out, I dropped front drive shaft and the piece with the rubber boot in case you bottom out. Piece of cake. I don't know what caused it but the nose cone is cracked where the seloniod hooks up. I took the starter to the shop today maybe know something Monday. They said the engine could kicked back before it disengaged, does that sound right or does someone have a thought of something I should check. THANKS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks