• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UPDATED: Bad Experience with Mariano, Liberty Hill, Texas

AndyT

If that was me, I would feel real fortunate that I showed up a little early to see the plan in action.. and just chock up the drive time to a free 4hr class in shady individuals , presented by college of the real world. Sorry that happened to you.

doa,

I can attest that Mariano was in no way trying to scam you or anyone else. Mariano is a very honest man with a lot of integrity.

He told me on Saturday that he had someone interested in the truck CUCV he had for sale, and he was going to come to the shop on Sunday morning to clean the truck.

A little back story.
The woman initially purchased/used drove it all the way to Dallas on Monday 9-25-17 and said she wanted to return the truck because its top speed is only 55 mph. She was going to drive it Lansing Michigan and didn't feel safe that the truck would not keep up with traffic. She was ignorant and didn't do her research about CUCVs.
Mariano drove to Dallas with his trailer to take the truck back, and he returned the woman's money. He was in no way obligated to do so. She signed a contract agreeing to the terms of the sale. (Mariano also has the clean blue title in his name because he would not sign over and send her the title until one of her payments cleared the bank)

When the truck arrived on Wednesday it started and drove off the trailer with no problems. The woman and her companion were chain smokers, and the truck reeked of weed and tobacco smoke. And the windows were hazy with smoke residue.
Mariano wanted the truck to be clean and presentable. Where the truck was parked there is no electricity, or access to running water.

On Sunday morning I received a call from Mariano at 9.37am. The truck would crank but not fire. I can suspect that he was not answering phone calls because he was on the phone with me as I was trying to help him diagnose the problem (glow plug controller & relay, glow plug resistance, fuel solenoid, lift pump fuel pressure, IP output, air in fuel, fuel filter, return line restriction)

It turned out that the woman had filled the truck with contaminated diesel or possibly Bio Diesel. Mariano had to completely drain the fuel tank, flush the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter.
View attachment 702237

I am sorry you had a negative experience with Mariano. He tries very hard to do a good job, and sell a good product. He goes out of his way to make things right for his customers.

If you have any questions please feel free to call me.
WOW - to give the money back, after the lady had red lined it up the freeway to haul her stuff, smoked like a fiend in it, and then trailer it back was way beyond. That she mucked up the truck with cheap - bad fuel was frosting on the cake...

He's a better man that I if he refunded her after that fiasco...

On a side note - I NEVER will meet anyone from Craig's List at my house - EVER!!! Have known WAY too many people have "Night Visitors" soon afterwards. You'd have to come personally referred by my family or best friend to get an address & invitation to my home...

If they want a cold start, I'd meet them at a place after I have lunch (letting the vehicle sit for an hour to cool off.) when you can put your hand on the exhaust manifold you know you are at cold start in my book and usually a hour of sit time gets there.

Best of Luck in your search!

Last edited:

DanM7890

Selling stuff on CL, there's always a bad experience. Chalk this one up as lesson learned and move on. Sucks it happened, but at least you took something away. A couple things learned about selling and buying off of CL: 1) Call the person if you're seriously interested. 2) Never meet at your own house for safety reasons. 3) Bring a friend (person or CCW). 4) Text/call before leaving for the appointment, if they don't answer, I wait. Tell the person in the first conversation that you do this.

All in all, you can't avoid everything.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW - to give the money back, after the lady had red lined it up the freeway to haul her stuff, smoked like a fiend in it, and then trailer it back was way beyond. That she mucked up the truck with cheap - bad fuel was frosting on the cake...
He's a better man that I if he refunded her after that fiasco...
See, THAT is the Mariano I know. There is no way I could have been that generous.

Cheers