• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UPDATED: ORV title correction and VIN registration in Louisiana

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had written a post about this years ago, but Louisiana changed laws, had meetings and changed laws again and the old thread is pretty convoluted, so I'll start fresh.

I bought a 5 ton from a member and we both knew the vehicle had been titled as "ORV" (offroad use only) during the period Louisiana wasn't titling the vehicles.

Here is a link to the applicable R.S. for printing and carrying in your vehicle to help educate others about the law.

(225) 925-6371 is the number to the Baton Rouge OMV, ask to speak to the special plates Division with any questions.

***NOTE*** Everything is much quicker and smoother if you get an appointment with the Special Plates unit in Baton Rouge. Local OMVs are still confused about our vehicles, while the SPU is up to speed....

To correct ORV titles (the seller will need to do this):

Take the vehicle to the Louisiana State Police and have a statement of physical inspection done. Once the physical inspection is done, take the inspection paperwork and original title to your local DMV and request a title correction and pay your fees and submit the paperwork.

Your title will be mailed to you.

**Note** due to COVID etc, there is a LONG processing time.

To register your correctly titled MV:

1. Get the bill of sale and title or S.F. 97 in order. MAKE SURE the paperwork trail leads back to a title or the government.

2. Insure the vehicle.

3. Take the vehicle to your local State Police office and have a statement of physical inspection done. **NOTE** Make sure the VIN they get matches your paperwork. If they get it off the frame, and the title has the number off the data plate, they won't match and the DMV won't accept it.

4. Mask and stencil your vehicle hood with the first 7 digits of your vin. For instance, my VIN is 2301518. Use yellow or white paint 2" or larger.

5. Mail copies of your Bill of Sale, filled out title the actual title), insurance card, pictures of the vehicle with the stenciling and any fees (I don't know the exact amount) to:

Office of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Special Plates Division
P O Box 64886
Baton Rouge, La, 70896
(I used registered mail so I would know when it was received).

Here's what the seller and I did:

He registered the vehicle in his name and got a corrected title at the same time and I only needed to transfer the registration to my name. That's where I hit a SNAFU.

The registration transfer process still needs to go through the special plates Division. I applied at my local DMV, but they still had to mail it off to Baton Rouge, so if you can take the time to make an appointment and go to BR, by all means do so.

I ended up waiting almost 3 months for my title, and they never did send my registration. If that happens, wait 30 days and go to your local OMV and explain the registration was never sent, and they'll replace it free.

It is a process, but it IS possible.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll guide you the best I can.

Attached are pics of registrations etc.

Pic 1: Incorrect ORV registration
:

Screenshot_20210712-111016_Photo Editor.jpg

2: Corrected registration:

Screenshot_20210712-110913_Photo Editor.jpg

Pictures of stenciling:

20210223_105323.jpg

20210223_104110.jpg

CSandoz

I would like to make an amendment to this by saying the applicable ORV rules are section 5 policy 18.01 and section 4 policy 126.
Both can be looked up on expresslane.org

The direct number to Special Plates in BR is 225-925-7031
If you do not specify when submitting paperwork that you want to register using VIN identification, as specified in section 5 policy 18.01, you will be issued a classic military plate.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to make an amendment to this by saying the applicable ORV rules are section 5 policy 18.01 and section 4 policy 126.
Both can be looked up on expresslane.org

The direct number to Special Plates in BR is 225-925-7031
If you do not specify when submitting paperwork that you want to register using VIN identification, as specified in section 5 policy 18.01, you will be issued a classic military plate.
Thanks for the update!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vin stencil is a lifetime plate btw and will save you $.

The old requirement for vin stencil starting with Q is no longer necessary; just the numbers.

I believe the classic military plate has to be renewed.

Only special plates in Baton Rouge can do a Vin Stencil. Local dmv can not. Local can do the classic plate if they have in stock (unlikely). Much better to do that also at special plates as they know the drill and local dmv for the most part do not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks