• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

updated pics of my hemtt restoration

BobS

Yes, the power unit is the same, but there have been a few versions of the rear drive unit. The MK48 was originally known as the Dragon Wagon (NOT the WW2 tank retriever)when first invented by (as I remember) LeTourneau in the 1950's. Oshkosh bought and refined the design (after Allis Chalmers bought LeTourneau when LT went bankrupt the first time) and developed the MK48 and kept the articulated steering joint with the driven rear section from the front. The HEMTT was a cheaper and non-articulating version of the MK48, developed when the Army refused to purchase the MK48 (of course the Marine Corps went ahead and purchased the MK48). The HEMTT was an abortion at the beginning. The 32K pound front axle loading was a bad combination with the silly Hendrickson walking beam suspension (that is another story entirely). Finally, the PLS (Palletized Loading System at the time, I was working on the GM/MVO/MAN vehicle for the PLS and HET competition) version of the HEMTT was developed which became the LVS.

Sidebar-Allis Chalmers brought out the first articulated front end loader, the TL645 in the mid 1960's, which is a direct decendent from the Dragon Wagon.

http://www.equipmentlocator.com/photos/equip/438636-1.jpg

Best regards,

Bob

ADDENDUM: The vehicles shown here...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=25190

...are what inspired LeTourneau engineering to develop the powered articulation joint for trucks.

Elwenil

DMA, could you get a few closeup pics of the folding step on the bottom of the cab the next time you are taking some pics? I want to fabricate something similar for my truck in the future and would like to see how those pivot and how they are made. Thanks in advance!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LVS is the system name.. Logistics Vehicle System.

It is comprised of the MK-48 power unit, and a trailer, of which there are several types depending on mission needs.

Elwenil

Those are factory steps for a HEMTT, one of two types. It seems that some HEMTT models had the lower step made with two large pieces of wire rope and other models all seem to have the hinged step with chain like DMA's.

Jones

Then the factory hinged set-up sure seems to be the better idea. Don't know how many times I've had the cable type feel like I'm being pitched under the rig.

dma251

Actually they are a very well-fabricated copy of the hinging style used on the newer A2 version a good friend fabricated for me. They are a little lower to the ground, also. Pretty nice work, huh?

I think all the early hemtts came with the steel cable style steps, but one of the problems with them is they have a tendency to swing in a bit when you are climbing up in. All the newer hemtts I've seen have the folding type.

If anyone wants my old-style original steps and cable lower steps I'll sell them cheap. They are freshly powdercoated too.

Attachments

dma251

If it was the one on Ebay for way too much money, that's mine! :lol: :lol:

I get asked this a lot. The best answer I can give you is just keep your eyes and ears open real wide and be patient. There are companies that might be able to help find one for you, but they are gonna want their cut of the pie, and the demand is very high, and the supply is very low.

In a few years that might change, but the best bet now is just meet people, keep asking, watch Ebay and cross your fingers. Maybe when I sell mine someday you can buy it.

BobS

emmado22 said:
The LVS is the system name.. Logistics Vehicle System.

It is comprised of the MK-48 power unit, and a trailer, of which there are several types depending on mission needs.
Sdiebar-LVS is to the MK48 as the FMTV is to the LMTV and MTV. LVS is the PROGRAM name (per TAACOM).

Best regards,

Bob

dma251

rockman said:
DMA, outstanding work and my nomination for restoration of the year in the NW.

Bill

Hey thanks!!!

As I've said before, it really helps to motivate me along to get such positive comments from folks that are as knowledgable and experienced as the members of SS.

There have been more then a few times where I've felt a bit overwhelmed by the magnitude of this project.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Damon:
I have said it before your work equals or exceeds the depot rebuilts that the Army pays big bucks for. I am very glad to see one of these great trucks here on the site. Your five ton rocked too is the guy that bought it keeping it in great shape and is he a member here?

I hope you get to keep this one as it is a real beauty