• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

updated pics of my hemtt restoration

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Damon,

You don't "need" a wheel; you simply need a wheel shipped from New York Mills, MN to your location. I am really sorry for dumping those damn Multifuel oil filters on you, so in return the wheel is yours, no charge. I've called Swenson Trucking, and if you got their email address and phone number from any of my emails call Gary (dispatcher) or Dennis (owner). I expect to redeploy from Iraq mid- to late-Feb 09; I'll get my life, wife, and hobby all back in order than. Until then, I have limited access to internet and phone. Anyway, YOU ALREADY OWN THE EXTRA WHEEL, WE JUST NEED TO GET IT MOVED!

Very sincerely,

Joe

dma251

Damon,

You don't "need" a wheel; you simply need a wheel shipped from New York Mills, MN to your location. I am really sorry for dumping those damn Multifuel oil filters on you, so in return the wheel is yours, no charge. I've called Swenson Trucking, and if you got their email address and phone number from any of my emails call Gary (dispatcher) or Dennis (owner). I expect to redeploy from Iraq mid- to late-Feb 09; I'll get my life, wife, and hobby all back in order than. Until then, I have limited access to internet and phone. Anyway, YOU ALREADY OWN THE EXTRA WHEEL, WE JUST NEED TO GET IT MOVED!

Very sincerely,

Joe

I really appreciate it Joe, I am going to give Gary or Dennis a call tomorrow. Thanks for thinking about that, I forgot all about it!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: will kinda sum it up for me, with perhaps (in my best Homer voice) "Oooooh.. pretty Hemtt!!"

Beautiful work, getting a lot of vicarious pleasure watching it transform from the "then" to the "now".

[thumbzup] Cheers

Last edited:

army_greywolf

As a 63 series in the army...you did/doing/will do things to a hemtt I quite frankly will probably never have the chance at. I read this thread from page 1 to now, I would love to take a trip out to have a look at it some day.

dma251

As a 63 series in the army...you did/doing/will do things to a hemtt I quite frankly will probably never have the chance at. I read this thread from page 1 to now, I would love to take a trip out to have a look at it some day.

Any time, my friend. I would love to meet someone that worked with these trucks "for real".

Incidentally I locked it in 8-low the other day at my folks place and climbed up a dirt hillside a little ways. Once you lock in the front axles they really grip the terrain! I guess having all that weight of the motor,cab, trans right over top really does the trick! I just love driving this truck!

....Can't.... .......Stop..... ....Smiling!!!!!

mog1218

Great looking truck. Very impressive restoration! The really like the interior of the cab. One of these days I should drive my Haflinger up to your place and take some photos next to your truck.

dma251

Here's an unpleasant update to share with you all.... I have been driving the truck a bit lately, and have found that I need to replace my just-replaced tranny once again..... It's definitely not what I want to spend my money on, but it's been slipping pretty bad in first gear since I first put it in and the fresh fluid is already dark.... It's just one of those things... It was a gamble from the start being a different trans then what came out of the truck.. I have a plan to have it completely overhauled by an official Allison rebuilder this January..... One bright side is they will be able to make some performance modifications to improve on some of the existing shortcomings and make it work a little better in this application.

I keep telling myself I will get all my money back someday when I sell :) Must keep head high... After all, I am still loving owning a hemtt.....

Last edited:

DanMartin

Damon,

Make sure you show them the mechanic who is overhauling the trans the vehicle it came out of....promise you'll let him drive it around the yard or something...little things like that will help to ensure a little extra care during the rebuild :)

I can't wait to see that thing in person someday....:drool:

Jones

Dan Martin's right. Not only will you get a little extra when the mechanic has taken an interest in the project-- he'll know just how big a monster that trans is trying to move around.
Once that's established, he won't build your trans to UPS delivery van specs.

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were me.... I'd avoid authorized Allison re-build shops like the plague.

From my experiences with Libelula, I have found that the "offical" Allison shops are prown to up-sell, over-charge, and give you false info...Just to run up your bill!

There are A LOT of people that re-build non-electronic Allisons, and are more likely to know the performance tricks. If you were in California, I'd give you a few names. I'm sure that with a little research, you will find a shop that will do a GREAT job at a fraction of the cost of an authorized shop.

army_greywolf

if you can wait a few weeks ill be home from iraq and on leave, if you don't mind the freight on the heavy piece i actually KNOW how to rebuild the trans in a hemtt mech and electronic.

Hmmm...are you sure your cooler isn't plugged?

The heat from the transmission is almost totally from the stiff torque converter. It will COOK fluid with a cooler or not. Not only that, you SHOULDNT use dexron or any type of red fluid, it's built for 15W40 unless otherwise specified.

It tipped me off when you said dark.

Some numbers to run by you. It is not uncommon for the allison trans in HEMTTS to reach 300+ degrees, this is WAY beyond the operating temps of any friction enhancer trans fluid like dexron.

But as I was saying some standard practices for heat reduction even in unloaded trucks of this "caliber" include neutral when stopped for more than a few seconds such as at a long red light, changing the trans filter often since it'll pick up the varnish deposits the torque converter causes from hot spots while shifting.

I do hope your not using dexron...