• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Upgrade" for the Interior

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all,
next I have to think about is of the seats.
The cover ist available but i don't want just cover new as the pad under cover is also in weak condition.
And i want it a bit more "solid"... specially the edge will be claimed all time hardly. I think everyone know what i mean :D

So i guess about the material as original is it no leather made. I will go to a car-saddler to make a pretty good and strong seat for us
Did anyone do the same or be a lot of M1008 on the road still with original seats?
Using Leatherette or Leather for it?

20210521_093912.jpg

I am also looking for the rear-slide-window but i am not sure if it is orginal and if it is a good idea to change.
The only air condition is the flap in the bottom (y) and of course the doorwindows.
The "german military air condition" ;):D (Roof-Flap/Gunner) is not build on the M1008 as I know

Also the floor-covering/MAT becomes weak over the years - did anyone replace?

The dashboard was changed during army/armytrader as we got different color of door cover and dashboard since we bought that truck 25 years ago directly from the armytrader

20180102_124930.jpg

Dashboard Covers still available but there is nothing worse with it so it can stay nevertheless the color is not the same

Armaturenbrett131203-1.jpg

ehuppert

Had my seat bottom professionally re-upholstered. (Seat back was perfect). He was unable to get a perfect match on material color, but was very close. He also repaired/rebuilt the seat cushion as it felt like you were sitting in a bowl and the edge was weak. I ws told it's common on 4x4's and lifted vehicles. You slide out which destroys the foam....

SEM paint (don't know if available in Ge) part # 15063 is the proper color. Used this product many times and is the correct match for the military interiors. I also use their low luster clear over the color for a little more protection. Once you remove and paint the dash pad you'll realize how crappy the door cards look and end up painting them! I know this from personal experience! Need to really do a good job prepping prior to paint.

Got rid of my sliding window. Had them in numerous trucks over the years. All they do is let all the dirt from the bed fly into the cab and are easy to break into. My restoration got a piece of factory glass with dark tint...... Only time sliding window was useful was the time i transported a keg of beer after a party and passed the hose in through the window so I could drink whilst driving. Kids were in the back, so they could pump the keg for me! MANY years ago, and mainly done to piss off my now ex-wife!

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had my seat bottom professionally re-upholstered. (Seat back was perfect). He was unable to get a perfect match on material color, but was very close. He also repaired/rebuilt the seat cushion as it felt like you were sitting in a bowl and the edge was weak. I ws told it's common on 4x4's and lifted vehicles. You slide out which destroys the foam....

SEM paint (don't know if available in Ge) part # 15063 is the proper color. Used this product many times and is the correct match for the military interiors. I also use their low luster clear over the color for a little more protection. Once you remove and paint the dash pad you'll realize how crappy the door cards look and end up painting them! I know this from personal experience! Need to really do a good job prepping prior to paint.

Got rid of my sliding window. Had them in numerous trucks over the years. All they do is let all the dirt from the bed fly into the cab and are easy to break into. My restoration got a piece of factory glass with dark tint...... Only time sliding window was useful was the time i transported a keg of beer after a party and passed the hose in through the window so I could drink whilst driving. Kids were in the back, so they could pump the keg for me! MANY years ago, and mainly done to piss off my now ex-wife!

Good advice of the sliding window - physics should not been ignored (y)
The seat back ist also still good, but will done both to got same material and same color.
I know about the hard work for a good finish in painting. We will not do painting ourself - like the red color will it be done be professionals, only the rough work, the stripping all out will done by us. The finish and finework for finish will done by professional. And all out means all out...
But the professional done in the past a bad job. Also if we said about the different colors in germany and USA did he just put some groundpaint and after this the red color on (German VW Tornadorot Y3B). But he used the wrong ground color which not gone apart with the original paint. The result was that he done it twice out of additional costs for us.

Fortunately we are all in our famely in the same interest of trucks and cars. Never had any discussion or trouble in that case. Only one time we had different opinion and that was the new color. I prefer blue my wife red. And today she always said in Face of the M1008 "why in the hell did you not come over me and force the blue color..." That will only know other men :p but she also said, it was my damned wish and so i have to prepare for new color... she done this well in all our projects in the last 35 years. But of course as she helped me always in any repair did I also helping her in this job.

Last edited:

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Good advice of the sliding window - physics should not been ignored (y)
The
I know about the hard work for a good finish in painting. We will not do painting ourself - like the red color will it be done be professionals, only the rough work, the stripping all out will done by us. The finish and finework for finish will done by professional. And all out means all out...
But the professional done in the past a bad job. Also if we said about the different colors in germany and USA did he just put some groundpaint and after this the red color on (German VW Tornadorot Y3B). But he used the wrong ground color which not gone apart with the original paint. The result was that he done it twice out of additional costs for us.

Fortunately we are all in our famely in the same interest of trucks and cars. Never had any discussion or trouble in that case. Only one time we had different opinion and that was the new color. I prefer blue my wife red. And today she always said in Face of the M1008 "why in the hell did you not come over me and force the blue color..." That will only know other men :p but she also said, it was my damned wish and so i have to prepare for new color... she done this well in all our projects in the last 35 years. But of course as she helped me always in any repair did I also helping her in this job.
was talking about dashpad paint..... Spray can and works well
Sorry I missunderstood that. I would not paint the dashboard cover. It is in good condition. I had never seen a good dashboardcover or pad finish on paint, that means not that it is impossible. We colored only metalsheets and if necessary does we replace the dashboardcovers. Usually replacing of cracks or much holes of owners which fit something on it.

ehuppert

The late GM replacements came to the military same color as yours, grey! I've painted them and other vinyl interior bits with the SEM paint. It works very well, used it numerous times. Restores color if faded or for color change....good product I don't use there prep products, just generic wax and grease remover...

https://www.semproducts.com/product/color-coattm-aerosols/15063 If you google CUCV sem 15063 you'll have a better understanding!

I haven't and wouldn't use it on carpets or seats..... Not to say it wouldn't work...... Just not for me!

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The late GM replacements came to the military same color as yours, grey! I've painted them and other vinyl interior bits with the SEM paint. It works very well, used it numerous times. Restores color if faded or for color change....good product I don't use there prep products, just generic wax and grease remover...

https://www.semproducts.com/product/color-coattm-aerosols/15063 If you google CUCV sem 15063 you'll have a better understanding!

I haven't and wouldn't use it on carpets or seats..... Not to say it wouldn't work...... Just not for me!
Didn't know this. Thanks for that Info. Another solution would be to got doorcovers in same color. The decision must not do today as before start in this job have to be done the technical work at all. I must confess that I never expected so much small failures on the system after longtime storage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks