• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrading a M923A2 for Fire Department Usage

check58

So my fire department picked up a 923-A2 to build as our next brush truck. While we were at the yard, we also picked up a 900 Gallon SIXCON tank to use for the water storage. I've read several posts on the immediate maintenance, (Working on it, THX for the filter numbers!), and we're also deciding if we're keep the CTIS, (Flashing 5 lights, still can't find any leaks). Overall the truck looks like it went through rebuild at Camp Shelby, then very quickly went to surplus. If I'm not mistaken, the truck came to us from Shelby. I know we have to do something about the alternator, as it won't put out enough juice for what we need to add to it; so I'm working on that issue. I do wonder, has anyone made mistakes on converting one of these trucks to firefighting that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Last edited by a moderator:

74M35A2

Best thing to do with the alternator is to take it off and put it in your weekly recycle bin to be smelted down in China into Christmas ornaments.

check58

Best thing to do with the alternator is to take it off and put it in your weekly recycle bin to be smelted down in China into Christmas ornaments.
I agree! I saw where you dabble with these things, sent you s PM last week. If you get a chance, please respond.

74M35A2

I greatly apologize. I have seldom had a PM slip by. I will respond in detail tonight. Apology again. Even if you don't get it from me, anything is better than the one that you have now. -CM

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to be careful what tires you run. Super singles with cracked or weather checked sidewalls are a blowout waiting to happen. Get some new Goodyear MVT 395's from your state surplus agency for best results.

check58

You have to be careful what tires you run. Super singles with cracked or weather checked sidewalls are a blowout waiting to happen. Get some new Goodyear MVT 395's from your state surplus agency for best results.
I agree, I'd love to find 7 or 8 already mounted on rims. I need a spare!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree! I saw where you dabble with these things, sent you s PM last week. If you get a chance, please respond.
Replace alternator before it cooks itself and other parts.

74M35A2 will fix you up.
I went with the Delco 100A from him and couldn't be happier.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Upgrading a 923-A2 for Fire Department Usage

Welcome from SE Indiana!

...we're also deciding if we're keep the CTIS, (Flashing 5 lights, still can't find any leaks)...
With the truck off, check and see if you have air pressure at the valve stem sticking out of your CTIS wheel valve. If you do not, someone has installed valve cores in the valve stems under the CTIS hoses. These need to be removed before the CTIS can function.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hijack but are all the alts an issue on a1 and a2. I ask since my a1 has the original
Yes.
They suck and are famous for it.

I had read about their problems but ignored it since my original worked.
When mine fried itself (literally) it also cooked a new Power Control Box and the ABS module.

Now with a brand new (not rebuilt) Delco-Remy 100A alternator, battery's are MUCH happier.
Charges faster with much less heat. Sits for days and needle is barely touching green instead of the lower yellow when switch is turned on.

With a fire department, the problem is when the stock alternator goes, it goes quick.
Takes out the PCB and truck is now dead weight. Unless the bypass method is known to them.

Change it asap.
I didn't and it cost me big $$ for all the fried hardware.
Plus downtime.

check58

Yes.
They suck and are famous for it.

I had read about their problems but ignored it since my original worked.
When mine fried itself (literally) it also cooked a new Power Control Box and the ABS module.

Now with a brand new (not rebuilt) Delco-Remy 100A alternator, battery's are MUCH happier.
Charges faster with much less heat. Sits for days and needle is barely touching green instead of the lower yellow when switch is turned on.

With a fire department, the problem is when the stock alternator goes, it goes quick.
Takes out the PCB and truck is now dead weight. Unless the bypass method is known to them.

Change it asap.
I didn't and it cost me big $$ for all the fried hardware.
Plus downtime.

Yea, I read that, plus 60 amps won't cover the radio, work lights, etc... I've got a 24v maintainer that we're going to wire in as a shore line. plus an air connection, to keep the tanks charged.

check58

Welcome from SE Indiana!

With the truck off, check and see if you have air pressure at the valve stem sticking out of your CTIS wheel valve. If you do not, someone has installed valve cores in the valve stems under the CTIS hoses. These need to be removed before the CTIS can function.
Will do, the thing worked when we first got the truck, but recently it started malfunctioning. I also noticed on front tire and one rear tire starting to go flat.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, I read that, plus 60 amps won't cover the radio, work lights, etc... I've got a 24v maintainer that we're going to wire in as a shore line. plus an air connection, to keep the tanks charged.
Get a NATO slave plug and wire the battery maintainer through it.
Easy plug in and quick disconnect from the truck using the slave
port.

fasttruck

Remember 900 gallons of water weighs 7470 pounds which gets you close to the cross country weight rating of the vehicle. 5tons also have a high center of gravity. I believe NFPA re[ported a leading cause of apparatus related fatalities involve tanker rollovers. Putting a pump, hose, tools etc on this ? Gravity is instantaneous, irresistible and irrevocable.

check58

Remember 900 gallons of water weighs 7470 pounds which gets you close to the cross country weight rating of the vehicle. 5tons also have a high center of gravity. I believe NFPA re[ported a leading cause of apparatus related fatalities involve tanker rollovers. Putting a pump, hose, tools etc on this ? Gravity is instantaneous, irresistible and irrevocable.
The good thing about the SIXCON tank, its baffled and pretty low profile (I don't think it sits any higher than the cab). The entire tank when loaded comes right in at 10,000 LBS, which is the maximum payload as defined by the military. In addition to this tank, we're only planning to add a portable pump and 1 hose reel (less than 500 lbs). Tank to be mounted forward in the bed, not to extend beyond the forward tandem. We try to stay as close to NFPA as possible, but its simply unrealistic to meet all of their standards. (Such as a $600 screen to tell you if everybody is wearing their seat belt in a 2 man cab...) We cover 90 square miles on less than $20k a year!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks