• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrading HMMWV With More Civilian Components

damarius

Please do not discuss titling , off road use etc.. I am aware of forum rules and it should not be discussed here.

Just have a question does upgrading the Humvee to look more civilian affect the resale value.

It would be nice to have some of following

Power Windows
Power Doors
AC
Radio
Trim Around Dash

If it is possible would it be best to convert the existing structure or buy H1 Hummer parts.

DatGuyC

Dont forget the HMMWV runs a 24v system, so you are either going to have to convert the truck to 12v or run a separate 12v circuit to power those things.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AC would be the easiest, as there are mil-upgrade kits for it. Radio... you're going to have to combine that with some sound proofing/doors or similar if you want it like a "normal" car/truck. If you're just looking to blast tunes, look into the Jeep guys and see what happens.

damarius

!

Will any of these proposed upgrades hurt or help the resale value.

One example is the doors. I have considered buying H1 Civilians doors. Of course those are not the x doors.

Does that matter when it comes to resale.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's going to depend on the potential buyer.

If I am buying a former military HMMWV, I want it to be military. But the next guy may want the power windows and locks, and radio and such.

Lawdog734

Just have a question does upgrading the Humvee to look more civilian affect the resale value.
I think it does affect the resale value - and not necessarily for the better. Anything you do to it today, I would suggest that you make it easily converted back to original. I liken these to the GPW's and MB's available after WW2. They were plentiful then and not nearly so plentiful now. Those considered more original retain better values than those turned into rock crawlers, etc.

Turning it into a poor-man's H1 doesn't make it an H1, just a bastardized M998 that won't appeal to those looking for an H1 or a clean military truck.

With that said - you bought and paid for it - It's your project to do as you please.

DanM7890

Here's my two cents. I bought my Humvee because it's the ultimate off-road vehicle. I didn't buy it for luxury. As far as resale, any sort of doors will do (hard or soft), a/c is a good, and radio is good but no need to go overboard.

I'm also in Charlotte.

Robus1022

4l80e(overdrive), red dot a/c kit, the x-doors have pull out release and springs back in place. Can be done with one hand. 12v Door solonoids($15 each) with 24v transformer($10 on amazon)to intercept the slot behind the latch so the rod will be pinched between the latch for the striker/latch release. A boombox(more or less) strapped down on tunnel (use ammo cans to hold some marine grade woofer. Hook up to 2 channel marine 12v amp with aux in($20 on amazon) and tap into 12v-24v transformer from door lock kits. Use a smart key, or rfid/proxy key to lock the doors and stop the truck from starting. Im sure you could fashion an electric window crank to run the windows, I just personally like the reliability of a manual spring locking window. Maybe attach teeth to the aluminum channel behind the window and use a simple motor with the right size gear. Keep in mind the x-doors are sloppy fit and finish. Windows move around quite a bit. I agree that a military truck should be left original. Also imagine the possibility of losing power and being stuck in the truck...the glass is pretty hard stuff.

saddamsnightmare

January 31st, 2016.

I would think that civilianizing an M998 would degrade its value. If I came across such a conversion, the sales price would go down just as much as the parts and labor needed to restore the same to its mil-spec appearance.

However, if you had wanted the best off road vehicle for the buck, I might have suggested an U1300L Unimog, as they routinely outperform the HMMWV off road. This last item is an opinion, but even S404.114 Unimogs will haul HMWWV's out of mud holes, they just won't do it very fast.:shock:

KansasBobcat

The electrical components you mention have all been a source of problems on my H1. The trim around dash just make it harder to work on. I would much rather work on my M998 than on my H1. I agree that value would be lowered because of modifications. Also TMs would be of less help. But it is your truck...

alpha1

hello, I am loking for any advice or recommendation on upgrading the transmission to a 4 or even 5 speed with Park. any ideas to a matching transmission or how to go about it? thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks