• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrading the brake switch

dw9339

I have a problem with the brake lights on my truck. The lights work when the headlights are on, but do not respond when the brake pedal is depressed. I read some of the old posts about this problem and believe my brake switch is the problem. I have the old style brake switch, so while replacing the switch, I am planning on upgrading to the new one as well.

A couple weeks when I wanted to order the upgrade kit, I only found one place with the kit in stock. When I asked the person on the phone about ordering a kit, she was sort of amused when I wanted only one kit, so I'm thinking they are more of a wholesaler than retailer.

Anyway, they sent me a kit, but there were a couple parts missing. I contacted them and they gladly sent me three additional parts. The problem is that they sent me two parts that were originally missing, and one part that I already had, leaving me with one part still missing.

I am also not sure how to install the kit. I was hoping for some instructions with the kit, but they did not send any.

So, here is where I need some help, please. In the attached pictures, I am missing one of the part "B." I also included a picture of the parts that I have and a close-up of the one part "B" that I have now.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if I can pick up an additional part "B" from an auto part store?
    • If so, is there a part number I can reference?
  2. Does anyone know of a TM stored on the web I can reference for instructions on how to install the upgrade kit?
Thanks!

Attachments

DieselBob

Couldn't find the directions I had but what you are doing is replacing #17 with #14,16 and A in the diagram. One thing to check is the fitting G in your pic is the correct size. There seems to be 2 different size lines used on the truck over the years.

Attachments

dw9339

You know if the 3 lever switch is in the "off position", your brake lights are not meant to work?
Yes, but they are when the headlights and tail lights are on, right?

FormerNewMVGuy said:
Saturn surplus sells the upgrade kit
The guys at Saturn informed me they were out of the kits and had no timeline as to when they would have additional kits in stock.

Thanks, DieselBob, that is very helpful.

If anyone else knows, I'm still trying to determine if I can source the missing fitting locally, without ordering an additional part and waiting for it to arrive.

Yohan

Somewhere I have a cartoon picture from PM Magazine saved that shows the simple swap. I followed the cartoon to do mine and everything works... except the brake lights, but they didn't work before the upgrade. And I got my kit from Saturn. I think I got the PM Mag cartoon from one of the threads on this so you might want to search for it. I'll try to find it and post it for you anyway.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You won't find that connector locally. What you can do is use a female butt connector in the short term and purchase that connecter later. Do you the DMC crimper to crimp the connectors "D" that you have? If not I suggest another route. Since you have to cut the existing plug off of the harness, you could attach a short piece of wire with the correct fitting crimped in place. Make the connection with a non insulated crimp connector and use some heatshrink for a very functional and professional install. Since you have been battling gremlins, if you want to PM me your address, I'll put together some short wires with the correct connectors and include the crimps and heatshrink for you. Send a PM to DUG and he can tell you how I fixed him up. No charge for this, just my way to pay it forward.

motomacguyver

I think unless you have a surplus outlet nearby these will have to be ordered. We have 2 outlets near here, one sells clothes, and pocket knifes, and the other has the real deal. ( truck beds, snatch blocks, radios, etc...)
Might as well order several of both male and female as they are always needed for that next project. (I'm doing headlights).. got mine from saturn surplus.

rlwm211

I have a couple of junk tailights that i could cut off the ends you need and I can send them to you. You can splice them into your harness.
PM me with your address.

The install has you placing the air switch in the same port and the rear service brake air line. What is important is mounting the switch so it is in the clear and not up against the frame or other lines. I ended up adding a couple of brass fittings to make mine the way I wanted it to be and also so the wires would reach.

Also, pull the bolts from the skid plate, if you have not done this already, and swing the airpack away from the frame to install the kit. Otherwise it is pretty difficult to accomplish this without a lot of 4 letter words being uttered repeatedly....ask me how I know this....

RL

rlwm211

I suspect if you could come up with only the switch, one could easily make up the rest of what is needed to switch to an air operated brake light operation.....

dw9339

Guys, thanks a ton for your extremely generous offers!

One of the reasons I like working on my truck is that if you can read a TM, you can perform general maintenance, even without extensive automotive knowledge. It is situations like I'm in now that are a little frustrating because I don't really know what to ask for, other than to try and explain what I need.

I really appreciate all the thoughtful advice and offers to help.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I did mine, I had to pick up a couple of extra brass parts to fit it together. My original wiring already had two of the Part B connectors attached, so it was basically plug n play. It works much better now! Luckily there was just enough room under mine to not have to move anything except the skid plate. [thumbzup]

Tackettr

You shouldn't need those unless you are set on having new connectors. The Army is just big on replace hardware when putting on upgrade kits, like new bolts, washers, ect.

So basically all this kit does is run the swtich off air instead of brake fluid. Those connectors are already on the existing wet switch.

BlizzardX23

Interesting...it looks like they(whoever owned the truck before me) removed the old switch and capped it off...but never installed a new switch? just cut the wires and let them hang? What do you guys suggest...pull everything and start fresh?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks