• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upping the fuel

Billy Bobbed

I use the digital pyrometer and it works great.Ive been playing with my IP screw,I got my EGTs pre turbo at no more than 1200.If it gets close to 1200 I back off on the throttle.Thats with my foot to the floor up a hill.I watch my pyro more than my speedometer.I really like the power it makes now.:grd:

Attachments

nhdiesel

I'm gonna jump in here with a problem I'm having, since there seems to be some good knowledge in this thread. I have a D turbo and what I'm told is a "g" pump. My problem is that my truck is very low on power, very low on boost (2psi on a steep hill at 1600 rpms), and doesn't like to rev past around 2200 rpms. It will barely hit 2500 if I let it pull for a bit.

I adjusted the fuel screw and got smoke and a bit more power, but no increase in boost. I tried adjusting the droop screw, no change. I know the turbo is working, as I can hear it when under a load, and it sounds fine (quiet, like a stock 5.9 Cummins) and when I shut the truck down I can hear the turbo wind down.

I have checked intake tubing for leaks and can't find any. I have a "C" turbo I can swap onto it but I want to eliminate anything else before doing that. Does the governor have an adjustment? It seems like its being governed too low. Even if the turbo was bad I would think it should still rev to 2600 on flat ground with no load. It seems to be getting enough fuel, as I can get smoke.

Here are pics of my pump:
HPIM0904.jpg
pump.JPG

Any thoughts about what I should do next? The only thing I can think of is swapping the turbo, but I have seen dead turbos before, and they usually either seize completely, or if they get worn and loose, they will be very noisy from the impellers rubbing the housing.

Jim

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It doesn't sound like a turbo issue to me. I know they have governors, but don't know how to adjust them. I would look more into the gov. adjustment.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
My son Matt installed an IP in a friends truck after the seals in the IP failed and filled the oil pan with diesel. Prior to the new install Matt turned up the fuel. This motor was a new motor back in 2004, so it was a tight motor. With the new IP and 1 turn of boost, it made a differance. Now it needs a pyro. Good job Matt...