• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

upstate ny /pa area 8.3 pump help ?

sweetk30

anyone in the upstate ny / pa boarder area . near horseheads . zip code 14845 .

might need to change out the I/p on the 8.3 and not sure how to set final timing spec .

I have read up on bar over the motor for tdc#1 and plastic pin in cover goes in .

but from there it gets real dead on info . how do I know the pump body to timing cover is set in the correct place ? as the 4 mounting holes are slotted .

and might wana turn up the pump just a bit if we can .

any help would be great . trying to diagnose a under power motor .

old motor did good and drove truck nice till it blew a rod on #2 .

new/used replacement motor is non m-series motor but 8.3 . got few details to finish yet on full swap over that the last shop skipped . . . .

Last edited:

74M35A2

To set injection timing, you need the dial indicator kit and extension to do so. Set cyl #1 to TDC on compression, push the pin in on the back of the timing gear cover, remove the delivery valve for #1 on the IP, install the dial indicator, and compare plunger height vs timing chart. Adjust as desired. Most RV guys set their injection timing to around 16 degrees for max efficiency on the 8.3. Timing kit is about $160-$200 on eBAy. Adjust via slots, or by re-indexing pump gear to pump shaft if need be.

sweetk30

not to be rude but did you even read my post .

I said I read the set the gear to tdc with the plastic plug and bolt in the pump .

my question was how to set the pump body to cover timming that's adjustable.

almost every link you click in your search or the same way I search it is talking plastic plug to set timming .

74M35A2

You'll need to do it by using the dial indicator method. Get the tools from eBay, and the timing table from any Cummins dealer via the engine serial number. For example, the injection timing is stated as 8 degrees on my 6CTA8.3 engine ID tag. There is no magic mark of where to just bolt it down and run. I could submit a picture of where my pump is clocked per the factory setting if you want to try that, but that won't guarantee it will be close or correct, but it may get it at least running though. The push pin on the back of the timing cover only indicates engine #1 TDC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks