• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ural 375 D

Elwenil

Sorry Chris, didn't mean to cause a commotion. I honestly enjoy picking apart photoshops, lol. It's sort of like solving a mystery or a puzzle. Anyway, I find the old Soviet vehicles very interesting. I'd love to have one one day but I think parts availability would be an issue here in the states.

vtunimog

RenatoPietsch said:
A Mog is not to compare with Urals, a Mog is many smaller.
Most Unimogs range from 1.5ton to 2 ton. The Ural is a 4.5-5 ton truck in 6x6 configuration. The axles are all leaf sprung and feature a rear "Floating" twin axle design. The Unimog features coil springs at all 4 wheels and a unique frame flex which gives over 20 degrees of frame articulation. The Ural is very stiff in comparison but for a large 10 ton GVW it has amazing capabilities despite this rigid approach.

Urals are not for everyone, they make a duece look comfortable in many ways. The older Ural 375D is fairly robust with a fairly common ZIL 375 V8 7l gas motor, which is based on the late 50's early 60's Ford Y-block (272 and 312). This isnt' a barn burner by any standard and the technology is simple and crude, yet rugged and effective. These trucks were sold as far away as Argentina and Chile, to India, Egypt, Zaire, Cuba, etc etc. Parts can be an issue but many US/European parts can be adapted (my 375D is getting an Edelbrock Performer 600 cfm carb for increased performance and economy - if you can say that 3.5-5mpg is economy).

If you want to see the Ural in action

Try - Youtube and search for Ural 6x6 , Ural 375, Ural Truck. Their performance in the Euro-Truck Challenge is quite good and there are some great shots of these trucks just plowing through obstacles.

Attachments

vtunimog

The tatra is awesome for sure, but comparisons between Ural, Tatra and Unimog are like comparing a Hummer to a Duece and a Oshkosh 8x8 back to a Duece. Different machines for different jobs. I have sold all three trucks, Unimogs, Tatras and now Urals. The Unimog is by far one of the most nimble trucks made for it's type, I would dare to say it beats nearly anything offroad under 3 tons, the Ural is tough and rugged. It will just keep going and going, -55F or 105F. It is one of the best 5-7ton offroad trucks out there. The tatra is hands down the best 10 ton plus truck made for any terrain. If the US didn't want to whack them with a 25% duty to protect a non-existant product (can you compare a 15 ton 8x8 to an F150 or even F550??) I am sure we would see more and more of them. Anyways, sorry for the side track.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks