• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Urgent help needed!

airmech3839

Deuce being towed will not track with tow truck! Chewing up tires and making life difficult! Any suggestions? Steering not locked up in truck and nothing unusual found! What are possible causes?:?::?::?:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Air the fronts to max psi, also if that doesn't help, tie the steering wheel streight. It will scrub around corners, but you will get it where you want it to go. If you have time, check toe-in or try different tires on the front. Sometimes they are just too far gone.

airmech3839

Found out radials on front so it does not have NDT's. Gonna try steeringwheel trick but gotta go long way and does not want to tear up tires!! Thinking of swapping front tires with tow truck!! Thanks gys:wink:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sweet, dunno if I would have been smart enough to think of swapping tires with the tow truck, good call!

airmech3839

Yeah that would have been last resort since he is byhimself! Take him a couple hours and it would take me 1 1/2 hrs just to get to him. But he says it is tracking now and not rubbing to bad but he is almost done with small town turns and about on hwy. Tire suggestion came from another friend since he is running NDT's on tow truck and truck he just picked up had the radial mud tires on it! Smart just time consuming!:-D

Nonotagain

Steering wheel trick seems to be working! I am not with him otherwise I would post pics! thanks for all your info!!:-D
If the tow truck driver is flat towing the truck, what's wrong with him?

Have him wrap his chains around the springs and lift the front end off the ground and go for the gold.

There is no way that I would flat tow any vehicle more than a couple hundred yards if I could get under it and lift the front or rear end off the ground.

Jeeperjoe

If the tow truck driver is flat towing the truck, what's wrong with him?

Have him wrap his chains around the springs and lift the front end off the ground and go for the gold.

There is no way that I would flat tow any vehicle more than a couple hundred yards if I could get under it and lift the front or rear end off the ground.

i was thinking the same thing, if its going a long distance why isnt it up on a trailer?

Nonotagain

Because flat towing is a way of life here at steelsoldiers.com. :-D
The local transit company on ocassion would flat tow one of their tranist buses into Johnson & Towers to have either the Detroit diesel or Allison transmission repaired under warranty.

After cost themselves hunderds of thousands of dollars in additional damages they have since stopped flat towing.

The man paid for a tow truck to move his deuce.

If he is looking to save a couple of bucks, make a friend that owns a deuce and flat tow the truck. Am I missing something?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
he never said he paid someone to tow it. For all we know it's a deuce flat towing it. If it weren't, what would the odds be of a commercial tow truck sharing the same tire and wheel size as a deuce. Perhaps he is using the term tow truck referring to the truck dragging the towed truck or at least that is how I see it. Radial tires don't seem to like flat towing in my experience. When I flat towed B Kubu's shop van to the GA rally it refused to track on any turns. It had 1100 Stones on it. I got it going straight, stopped and strapped the wheel. No more problems other than having to drag it around a few turns. Airmech, elaborate on what's towing what. Oilcan is right, if martians vaporized all of our towbars, we would be hopelessly lost!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks