• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

URGENT / I-81 North Exit 279

sgtrisk

Sgt. Risk is on the road. This is his son at the computer. Need phone numbers for members in Front Royal and the surrounding areas. His deuce and a half looks like it has a blown turbo.

Sgt. Risk's cell is (434) 996-0730.

sgtrisk

Thank you all. I do not know what his plans are at this time. If you are able to offer any assistance or know someone who could help him, then by all means, call him directly on his cell.

Kohburn

I'm about 3 hours from there. If he was in bad enough shape and needed tools I could probably help.

Turbo going out shouldn't be a trip ender unless it threw some blades into the engine. if it seized then he would probably just have to adjust the fuel, keep driving and replace the turbo later.

Last edited:

sgtrisk

I do not know the exact nature of the breakdown, but "busted turbo" is what I was told to submit to the site. Apparently, he's leaking oil everywhere. As far as I know, the truck is stopped and cannot continue the last forty miles of the intended trip.

sgtrisk

Most recent update: The National Guard is going to tow him in to his final destination. He does not need assistance at this time. If someone has a spare turbo lying around, though, he is in need of one. Again, his cell number is (434) 996-0730. Thank you.

hklvette

Most recent update: The National Guard is going to tow him in to his final destination. He does not need assistance at this time. If someone has a spare turbo lying around, though, he is in need of one. Again, his cell number is (434) 996-0730. Thank you.
That's really cool of the NG to do that for him. hope everything works out ok.

sgtrisk

"Busted turbo"

Hi guys. It's really me this time.
Thanks for the replies and offers of help.

Update:
Unfortunately, I misunderstood what I was told earlier... the NG was not able to help. I believe they were going to lend us a tow bar. Oh well. I was able to get the truck dragged into a safe place for now.

Background:
We (the Virginia Defense Force) were on our way to Winchester, VA to perform a mission in support of the Winchester Police Dept for the Apple Blossom Festival this weekend. The truck has been all fixed up as a nice commo van. Oh well. We've got backup anyway.

Turbo:
When it "blew" I was spewing a HUGE cloud of white smoke! When I got stopped I saw that I had oil "all over" (or so it appeared). Upon closer inspection (with fire extinguisher poised as I watched flames around one of the joints in the exhaust pipe!!), I noticed that oil had been spraying out of the exhaust pipe. Bunch of it in the engine compartment also. The oil pressure had dropped to about 15 psi when I shut it down. And the oil level shown on the dipstick still shows full (???!!). So... I'm assuming that something gave way inside the turbo. Hopefully. I guess that's an easy fix? All I need to do is get hold of one now.

So... anyone have a parts truck with a turbo lying around?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, I was in Winchester VA most of the afternoon/evening, just got home a little while ago. Glad the deuce is parked out of the way, and that you are okay.

I'll be around this weekend on and off, if you need a hand doing some field repairs, give me a ring. Will PM my cell to you, SgtRisk.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nopics

Can you get some pics up so our experts can take a look for you?

steve

sgtrisk

Pics. What an interesting concept!
No, actually I'm "on duty" now in Winchester. The truck isn't too far away from Front Royal, if someone else would like to stop by and take a look at it (hint hint).

Kohburn

oil inside and outside of turbo...

I'd expect one or the other, not quite sure i can figure out both. if you are considering the turbo to be a total loss at this time then you could cap the oil line going to the turbo. that should solve the oil leak and oil pressure issue. the turbo would likely get toasted from being no oil, but if it is beyond repair anyways then no real loss.

that would be enough to get you rolling again.

sgtrisk

I'll have to look at it more closely on Sunday morning. I won't be able to get back down there before then. Not sure why there was oil inside the engine compartment... but there was PLENTY all over the rest of the truck from being blown out of the exhaust stack! And it was running down the exhaust stack from the top.

Not sure if I'll have Internet there... if so, I'll post pics. Otherwise I'll have to go blind. I've got all my tools in the truck, so that won't be problem.

Thanks!

sgtrisk

oil inside and outside of turbo...

I'd expect one or the other, not quite sure i can figure out both. if you are considering the turbo to be a total loss at this time then you could cap the oil line going to the turbo. that should solve the oil leak and oil pressure issue. the turbo would likely get toasted from being no oil, but if it is beyond repair anyways then no real loss.

that would be enough to get you rolling again.
How far do you think I can take it with no turbo (by capping the oil line)?

I can get a replacement from Winslow, but I'd like to look at the option of limping it home.

hklvette

With a seized turbo you shouldn't have a problem, as the multi was originally setup to run without it. That all goes out the window if you've turned up the fuel rate though.

sgtrisk

Haven't messed with the fuel rate. As far as I know, it's "stock" from the Depo. I'll see what I can do with capping the oil lines.

Thanks!!