• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

US Army no longer plans to purchase Humves

dogtags

Check it out at:
DoD Buzz | No More Army Humvees; Lots More MRAPS

By Colin Clark Monday, February 1st, 2010 4:03 pm

The Humvee, which replaced the Jeep, will no longer be bought by the Army.
While Arnold Schwarzengger certainly helped boost the Hunvee’s public profile, it has never achieved the legendary status of the Jeep and its
vulnerability to land mines (aka IEDs) made it something of a anachronism until much heavier armored versions were deployed.
While the service won’t buy any more Humvees, the Army is not getting rid of them.
“The Army is not buying more Humvees but other people buy Humvees so the line is not terminated. We envision the Humvee to be an enduring part of the Army fleet for a long time,” Army Lt. Gen. Edgar Stanton, the military deputy in the Army comptroller’s office, told reporters during a Q and A session after the Army budget briefing today.
While announcing that the Army’s “needs for this vehicle have been met” for new Humvees, the Pentagon also made clear that the need for MRAPs of various stripes have certainly not been met.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates said that Central Command has a requirement for 10,600 more MRAPs. He broke the buy down, saying that the Pentagon plans to buy 6,600 more M-ATVs, the more agile off-road MRAPs made by Oshkosh, and another 4,000 regular MRAPs. Most of those will go to Afghanistan. There is $1.1 billion requested in the 2011 budget for MRAPs, according to the OSD budget overview.

Ryanhooker

With that being said. Its funny that they say that. They just gave a multi million dollor contract with granite tact vehicles to build up armour trucks. Haha, guess they are not calling them HMMWVs since the only thing on them that is a HMMWV is the hood and chassie. These things arnt the HMMWV of the past these can with stand any thing you through at them. An why would they need to buy new ones except to replace total lost ones. They are still resetting the ones that are not being sold to overseas countrys.

The Janiter

I was on Base here yesterday and was told that all of the Humvee s the guard had were being up-fitted to armor and A/C to comply with the future need.

The ones I looked at had only front cab bullet proofed and boy were they cramped. Little people comfort only - as much a stock hummer can give.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

ida34

Which I provided a link to.
But just posting a link did not really tell anyone it was a duplicate and the threads after yours kind of proved you did not get your message out to everyone. I got it but others did not. I would have put in a statement about your link but I felt it would have been too pointed and I just wanted to let the thread gracefully die. I know you were trying to do the same but I think you were no quite pointed enough.

:nothingfunny:

jpinst

The HMMWV will be around for along time. All services need a general logistical vehicle to get around the base on. Using heavy up armored vehicles for such purposes is not efficient.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks