• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

US Shift inside TCM with original harness?

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to use US Shift controller but put it inside a HMMWV TCM box and use the original harness that the box uses.

Currently I have a US Shift controller but it is spliced into a harness. I can’t tell if it’s one from US Shift or spliced into HMMWV harness from tranny.

Can I go back to original harness that plugs into the TCM box and then splice into the connector from inside box and make plugs that go into US Shift controller???

Reason I’d like this is to protect it more (waterproof).

It may be easier to just make a waterproof box for the US Shift controller………anyone with ideas on that???

springer1981

A water proof box is easy. You could use the original box and simply remove the connector and run all to the wires through the hole and then just fill the hole with silicone. You could also wire the controller to the internal connector and use the factory harness. Do you have a factory harness on your truck? Do you have the box? Did you get the Quick Shift 4? I mounted mine in the dash so I could see the panel and access the control functions but it is not water proof. I think I could just silicone the connectors and the knob and make it mostly water proof but I have no intentions of running that deep in water.

Here's the info about my install https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/my-new-1992-m998-avenger.184818/post-2408610

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A water proof box is easy. You could use the original box and simply remove the connector and run all to the wires through the hole and then just fill the hole with silicone. You could also wire the controller to the internal connector and use the factory harness. Do you have a factory harness on your truck? Do you have the box? Did you get the Quick Shift 4? I mounted mine in the dash so I could see the panel and access the control functions but it is not water proof. I think I could just silicone the connectors and the knob and make it mostly water proof but I have no intentions of running that deep in water.

Here's the info about my install https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/my-new-1992-m998-avenger.184818/post-2408610
Didn’t think of that…….just run it up “high” and by dash. Hmmmmm

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter

That’s partly what I was wondering, ie does factory harness have all the wires that go into US Shift or does US shift have additional wires that need to get run.

springer1981

That’s partly what I was wondering, ie does factory harness have all the wires that go into US Shift or does US shift have additional wires that need to get run.
Depends, did your truck have a factory 4L80 or are you doing a conversion? If it is a conversion then the factory harness doesn't have any of the wires. The factory harness for a 4L80 has a bunch of extra wires that you don't need. The US Shift harness comes with everything you need except the TPS. If you get a Hummer H1 TPS it is much easier to mount.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends, did your truck have a factory 4L80 or are you doing a conversion? If it is a conversion then the factory harness doesn't have any of the wires. The factory harness for a 4L80 has a bunch of extra wires that you don't need. The US Shift harness comes with everything you need except the TPS. If you get a Hummer H1 TPS it is much easier to mount.
Factory 4L80 but previous owner used US Shift.

Looks like US Shift harness and spliced into
another harness but can only see to where it goes through the wall of the tunnel.

springer1981

Factory 4L80 but previous owner used US Shift.

Looks like US Shift harness and spliced into
another harness but can only see to where it goes through the wall of the tunnel.
Probably spliced in because it already had a TPS and other sensors wired. Not sure what your goal is but if it is to relocate it then I would consider getting a new US Shift harness and just using it. It would simplify everything and you could mount it where ever you want. Also all the wires would be intact and not spliced in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks