• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

US6 found

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember M135 beds can bring some change to offset the price too: they are getting hard to find.....

Blueduce

Well, I was until I saw the post above this one!

Guess I gotta' find a place to turn around.
Sorry my friend. I got the final go ahead from the wife so unless hes asking more than I can get for this kidney it's a done deal. I have brought in wallew as a partner on this. Where going to make it a MVCC club project. More picks to come on Monday.,.

Blueduce

Many thanks on the parts but I don't think I even be into it by then. A good place to find the TM's for this truck would be helpful.

nattieleather

Remember this truck was considered sub-par to the CCKW and therefore the majority of the trucks and parts went to the USSR under lend lease. There are a few owners in the MVPA that you might want to hook up with.

Blueduce

Remember this truck was considered sub-par to the CCKW and therefore the majority of the trucks and parts went to the USSR under lend lease. There are a few owners in the MVPA that you might want to hook up with.
I am trying to get my feet under me with this project and make the needed contacts at the same time. I have already noticed that the pickins are kinda slim. If any one out there could guide me in the right direction I would be grateful. I wouldn't dare turn away any help or suggestions.

I tried to get back out to the truck on Saturday for a closer look and more picks but the heat wouldn't let me. With my disabilities and all the meds I'm on I can only handle 20 min or so in this 103 degree heat. She will probably stay where she is at till we get a break in the heat. I will go out one evening and close the windows and take more picks.

Blueduce

Here we go. New picks and info tags found. If anyone can help with deciphering them I would greatly appreciate it. I was thinking about sending the info to the great carnac but I wasn't sure if his sources go back this far. I couldn't get to the data plate on the side of the block so I got the info off the top of the head. Not sure if these #'s help at all. It looks as though the frame #, firewall plaque and dash plaque numbers all match up.
I got the info off the transition as well. I can read the Muncie , ID and the and the T-93-1. But I couldn't decipher the first line except for the D-1 at the end. The date of delivery on the cab name plate is blank. (nothing stamped at all).

I also got the bumper # off the tailgate if anyone can help with the first few characters. I can make out: 4??50492 I can't tell if it's 411 or 4H. any ideas?

Attachments

Last edited:

Blueduce

Set two. It looks to me that a pressure washer would improve conditions considerably. I took a closer look at her belly and I can see no significant rust or damage. The floor pan of the cab is solid. Even under the seat. The main trans to dif driveshaft spins freely. There are no puddles under her. and I noticed a newer fuel filter installed. Oh ya, There are even 5 new tiers in the bed. They look to be in decent shape. It also looks as though most of the troop seat and canvas top framing hardware is still present.

Attachments

Last edited:

Blueduce

I pulled the dip stick and to my amazement the oil looked clean and fresh. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. I'm almost half tempted to throw a battery in her and some fuel to see if she'll start. Don't worry fellas I'm not that stupid. I will start tearing things down this fall. She is going to have to stay out at the air field for now. I don't think my HOA would approve of me turning my driveway onto a motor pool. I've been lucky that my M35 hasn't raised any eyebrows yet. Once the air museum where she is parked now moves to there new hangar I'm going to beg a corner of the hangar to store and work on her.

Attachments

Last edited:

BEANBELLY

1945 us6

I just picked up a us6 ill show some pics going to start on it this winter . Forest service had it awhile. Also got several 41 dodges and parts. Beanbelly

Attachments

Last edited:

nattieleather

I'm sorry captain-cranky I had a momentary laps in terms and types sub-par as apose to the correct term of substitute-standard. But the other half of my statement which is that most of the trucks went overseas to the USSR under lend-lease is correct. Being that I was checking the site from work and typing quickly had a brain fart and used the wrong term. I'll go throw myself on a screwdriver as punishment!

saddamsnightmare

September 27th, 2012.

We're getting a bit grouchy about the Studebakers on here lately? The Studebakers and IHC's all did good service at times when both our Army and our allies could just about use anything with wheels. Remember the Rat Patrol's 1.5 ton Chevy's, basically civillian 2 WD trucks modified for desert duty, and they generally worked well..... The only worry that I would have would be essential mechanical parts for repairs, but I am sure some of the old heads on here have a few squirrelled....
Now let's retire the :deadhorse: stick and get a little more civil, eh?:p

Last edited:

nattieleather

The hardest part of the restoration will be finding parts. Another source you might google to find is there seems to be quite a few in Australia, so maybe there is a group over there that you can get in contact with that can give you a lead on parts. Also there is a guy in Iowa who is a member of the MVPA who has a US6 and has done articles about US6s before. Maybe contact the MVPA to get in contact with him about spare parts and such.

Here is a website that lists a bunch of Studebaker clubs around the country. You might find parts and expertise there also. The Home of the Studebaker Clubs of the World

Good luck with the truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks