• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAA for M35A2, anyone ever have luck with

opie65

Them finding the duece in the system?

They asked the original purchase price, (Uh... I didn't say $46K, for a 1971 truck. ) fumbled around, and came back with $172 for six months.

Now, I am in the Detroit area, and MI is No-Fault, but for over 35 that seems crazy high. (Clean record, Liability Only, multi vehicle, etc...)

Did they mess up?

Thanks.

mudguppy

going to be calling them soon to find out about insurance. what exactly do you tell them the vehicle is? do you say M35?

opie65

I'm not as much complaining as I am trying to make sure they didn't make a mistake because its not an everyday item. I know people pay less, elsewhere.

Yes, I told them AM General....
USAA- "American General?"
Me- "Could be, what are my other choices?"
USAA- "American Motors."
Me- "Ok, try to find M35A2 in American General"
USAA- "Is it a Pickup Truck?"
Me- "Yes......."
USAA -"6 or 8 cylinder"
Me- "6"
USAA - "Do you know the original value?"
Me- "Uhhhhhh.....(Don't say $46750 in 1971) I don't know..."
USAA- "OK, VIN number?"
Me- "Well, either 04N03471 or W91YZE81610002A"
USAA- "OK, W91YZE81610002A..."
USAA- "Increase of $172 for six months."

The DTID probably comes back as a 2001 Humbolt Beewhacker, that is my concern...

Barrman

I am paying $32/month to USAA for the 1971 M35A2. The lady I talked to said her and her husband were looking at getting one, so she knew what it was.

This is the same price for state minimum liability I pay on my 1967 Austin Cooper S, 1967 M715 and my 1966 K20. USAA turned me down on my 1952 Reo M35 a year ago. When I added the A2 last fall, they had no idea why I was turned down. Hope this helps.

Jakob

I am paying $32/month to USAA for the 1971 M35A2. The lady I talked to said her and her husband were looking at getting one, so she knew what it was.

This is the same price for state minimum liability I pay on my 1967 Austin Cooper S, 1967 M715 and my 1966 K20. USAA turned me down on my 1952 Reo M35 a year ago. When I added the A2 last fall, they had no idea why I was turned down. Hope this helps.
When I added mine, I was VERY clear about what kind of vehicle it was. I described every bit of the truck and the operator was "familiar" with them. I explained the weight, 6x6 and everything. I was never informed they had a 10k pound limit. Not saying it isn't true, but if it is, they don't know about it.

tsmall07

I told them what it was and they said I had to go through progressive and it would be $500 for 6 months! What did I do wrong?:cry: I'm definitely going to shop around some more

neb4x4

I have my 71 AM GENERAL M35A2 insured through American Family Insurance. They know exactly what it is, it came up in their computer.... I pay about $230 FOR 1 YEAR. I don't think that's too bad!

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
USAA will NOT insure a Deuce. I had mine insured through them, and when they found out that it weighed more than 10k empty they cancelled me. . .

Just an FYI, take it or leave it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Here we go again down this trail.

Instead of female dogging about this, I have sent an official request to USAA to get their policy on this for the M1009, M1008, M35, M800, and M900 series vehicles. I've seen this topic go round and round about 20 times in the last year and it's time we brought it to an end.

For those that don't have USAA and insure their vehicles through a non-collectors type insurer (ie not JC Taylor or others), send your company an official request for the policy guidance on this. If we get the information and post it on here as a sticky, by company, then we can alleviate a bunch of gripping.

opie65

Carnac,
I don't think asking an insurance company for a policy statement, (read: review), is a good idea. If someone gets interested enough, this hobby could get VERY difficult, VERY quickly.

If USAA has tables that allow an A2, but no REO Gasser, so what. If you show them how they are "just the same", they aren't going to say "REO is OK, then" it will be "NO A2".

If someone causes in inquiry, and all of us get dropped, and I have to find insurance at single car rates, with someone else, at a big rate..... I think you see my point.

I don't have commercial plates, or a CDL (anymore) for this truck. Commercial insurance policy might want all that.

Your site, your rules. I respect that. BUT, your running the risk of messing up my pocketbook and Off-Site world. (I feel I'm tiptowing a line here. Please don't get ticked.)

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Not my site and I disagree. If we are going to have effective insurance, we need to know before an accident, not after. Frankly, I'm tired of the bickering and craphouse lawyers on this and other subjects. It's time we act on matters instead of guessing. I, like you, have mine insured through USAA. M1009 which was totalled in a crash in Jan was also insured by USAA and I've had nothing but total support concerning that accident.

So the M1009 not being insured through USAA is absolute BS. When I insured it, they asked for a photo of it which I sent and they said ok. So anyone that says they will not insure a 1009 is full of it and needs to do some homework themselves.

I may sound a little cranked up about this and I am. I'm tired of people blasting off either incorrect or obsolete legal advice. Maybe I'm just getting cranky in my old age or the fact my boss is an absolute D.I.C.K. and I can't wait to move outta here.

mcmullag

insurance

.... if this helps anyone.... I use Gulfway for $200 a year and it appears they then are subbing out through Travelers or somebody by what I saw on the paperwork (so I feel like it is legit ins). I had to fill out a lot of questions about the vehicle as if it were a collector car or hot rod or specialty thing and send a picture of the outside and the interior. works for me.
....if this helps, I work in the Total Loss Dept. at Ford Motor redit. Just yesterday, I talked to an attorney representing a large insurance co. They filed suit to deny the claim of the truck that got burnt to the ground inside a building that went up in flames because of "falsification of information" ( I think it was used commercially instead of just consumer) so this customer owes us $35k on the loan himself for the truck that is a piece of charcoal.

mudguppy

Here we go again down this trail.

Instead of female dogging about this, I have sent an official request to USAA to get their policy on this for the M1009, M1008, M35, M800, and M900 series vehicles. ....
thanks, CARNAC - i look forward to hearing what you find out as i will be in need of insurance soon. [thumbzup]