• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF Floodlight Genset model FL-1D - need info!

f4bones

Just picked this thing up on GL - very nice unit, but missing some electrical and other parts. I really need the TO / wiring diagram. Can anyone help? The TO listed on the data tag states TO 35F5-5-20-1. Any help greatly appreciated!

f4bones

thanks - but no - I really need to IPC and a wiring diagram in order to troubleshoot. Hopefully someone here will have access to TOs . . . or can steer me to where I can buy / borrow / steal one. . .

3dAngus

It is a site requirement you list the state you live in. It might help you get some local assistance as well.
Good luck with the hunt. I would love to have one myself, though I don't know what I would do with it.
I'm addicted!

RayK

Welcome from Georgia! I'll check tomorrow and see if I can get the TO from Robins AFB - they're responsible for all the floodlights in the Air Force.

andy3

They are all very similar. I have a non military unit. I was in the market for a generator and happened across one that had lights too. So far I've repaired 3 of the 4 lights. I thought It would just sit in the yard until needed. I now use it at least once a month for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, church, & school events.
Tell me it's problems and I can walk you through most fixes.

f4bones

thanks - the biggest issues right now are that there are several items missing - the main breaker is missing (GFCI breaker) and I'd like to find a part number so I could order one that fits in correct mounting hole - 30A, panel mount w/ 2 screw holes, not 4 that I think are more common. would be very helpful to have a wiring diagram as I'm not sure which wire goes were on the breaker - there are also 3 wire inside the cabinet that don't go anywhere - might be missing a controller or something, but I don't know.

The unit is very nice - I'm not sure it was ever run as the engine looks new - it runs perfectly, so probably only needs a few small items and should be in service. Hopefully someone here will track down a TO or at least a wiring diagram -

thanks!

quickfarms

They are all very similar. I have a non military unit. I was in the market for a generator and happened across one that had lights too. So far I've repaired 3 of the 4 lights. I thought It would just sit in the yard until needed. I now use it at least once a month for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, church, & school events.
I did they same thing and now the high school marching band asks that I bring it to there functions. The nice thing about having working lights and using it at these functions is you do not have to load test it or exercise it.

The group is happy you are doing them a favor but the reality is that it needs to be run a little.

Last night I ran mine for about 4 hours with all four lights lit.

andy3

The nicest thing is it sips fuel. It can run a long time with a full 30 gallon fuel tank. I loaned mine to a Christmas tree lot and they ran it for 30 days (2 to 4 hours a night) and did not use half the tank.

ICAT

any word on manuals for this piece of equipment? my city public works brought 2ea and I could use the manuals to help with the maintenance.

f4bones

any word on manuals for this piece of equipment? my city public works brought 2ea and I could use the manuals to help with the maintenance.
can't figure out how to attach it here, but send me an email to dee@innoviveinc.com and I'll email it to you. If you don't mind, mine is missing some items, and a few photos of yours if they are complete would be very helpful!

cheers,

Dee

Attachments

f4bones

thanks - really appreciate it. I especially need photos of the interior of the control panel where the breaker switches and relays are, and also of the voltage regulator - mine is missing some parts from the control panel and also the voltage regulator.

671CARLO

i'll get some pics and send them to you. mine are complete.
Hello,

Could you please send me pics of the wiring inside the geni? Someone really screwed mine up when they decommissioned it. They cut wires and disconnected everything, so I have no idea where anything goes. The manual doesn't seem to show any real info on it.

Thanks,

hcfd957

Thank you

Thank you for this information. We just got one of these from the Air Force for use here at the fire station. It has come in handy already.

can't figure out how to attach it here, but send me an email to dee@innoviveinc.com and I'll email it to you. If you don't mind, mine is missing some items, and a few photos of yours if they are complete would be very helpful!
Thank you for this information. We just got one of these from the Air Force for use here at the fire station. It has come in handy already.

cheers,

Dee

metalman2u

I just got a FL-1D from surplus property, we use them at the school where I work. This unit is not producing any power, i disassembled the generator and cleaned the armatures and the F1 and F2 outputs are reading 2.5 v., it had no output before cleaning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

uncleben03

Bringing this bad boy back from the dead, looking for some help. The TO I found in this thread was a giant help already, but now I'm having trouble finding parts. I bought one of these on GP knowing it was missing a radiator/fan shroud, alternator and fuel tank. Obviously the fuel tank can be anything, but trying to find exact parts for this thing based on NSN or FPI part numbers just leads me to a lot of places I can't buy from as just a guy fixing something.

Anybody know where I can find those parts above for this thing? It's a nice unit and it's worth getting up and running.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bringing this bad boy back from the dead, looking for some help. The TO I found in this thread was a giant help already, but now I'm having trouble finding parts. I bought one of these on GP knowing it was missing a radiator/fan shroud, alternator and fuel tank. Obviously the fuel tank can be anything, but trying to find exact parts for this thing based on NSN or FPI part numbers just leads me to a lot of places I can't buy from as just a guy fixing something.

Anybody know where I can find those parts above for this thing? It's a nice unit and it's worth getting up and running.
Welcome to Steel Soliders!
Post your needs in the Parts Wanted section.
Also watch eBay and keep your fingers crossed.
A rare few manufacturers will sell to the public. The majority will not.

PartTarget.com will show the regular civilian part numbers (If any) along with the NSN.
If your lucky, you’ll find the part you need.
Most times it’s a dead end or insanely expensive.

If your doing rebuild posts, start your own thread and don’t forget pictures!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks