• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF GMC 5500 utiity truck info needed

Towerguy1

20160609_100753_resized.jpg
Found this old critter, but its not a typical GMC 5500. It has Deuce rims, air over hydraulic breaks, Rockwell axles. and many other interesting "upgrades?....."
Couldn't find a data plate but it appears to be an auger/drill truck possibly for setting poles. The derek and drill have been removed.

I'm looking to ID the truck and possibly find some manuals, and parts sources.
What I know is:
1969 GMC 5500
Utility brand body
Rockwell Axles
292 straight 6
manual transmission
used by the Air Force.
break system and axles are not "standard" for this truck. seems to be re-geared for parts compatibility.

any input would be good, thanks

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The older trucks in the 5500/C50 range used 6-lug Budd wheels. The 6500/C60 sometimes used 10-lug Budd wheels, whereas they were standard on 7500/C70-series trucks.

ETA: Sometimes the 5500/C50 trucks could be had with 5-lug Budd wheels.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

What a fabulous looking (and suitably ugly) looking truck. Very unusual in appearance and deserves the full restoration treatment. Looking forward to seeing the progress with pictures of course. Good luck. great find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks