• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF M715s

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Does anyone know if the Air Force had any M715 series vehicles? I never saw one in my nearly 30 years in the AF, but I wasn't at every base, either. ;)

J2H

I'm sure one or two did, I'll have to check, found some on google! But no pics! I'd guess anything with an Aerodrome signals placard was AF.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at my thread on the found M715. It has airodrome signals sticker on the dash

tamangel

I drove one (M715) when I was in a mobile TAC Control Squadron out of Cannon AFB, NMex in the early '70's. We had deuces and a wrecker also. Went on maneuvers in NM, TX, LA, AZ and CO during my 3 years there. All vehicles were painted OD.. Had an M37 also.. Possibly also in some of the other dedicated mobile comm units (when the AFCS was still going) like the 4th MOB out of Tinker, but unknown for sure....

Mike

Last edited:

nhdiesel

I saw one locally that looked to be all original and had air force markings on it. The truck had a utility type body on the back. It may have been a repaint, but the paint looked very old and original. The odd thing was, the truck was gray not blue...did the air force ever paint their vehicles gray?

Jim

Elwenil

My stepfather was in the USAF and had pics of him sitting on the tailgate of an M715 at Da Nang. If I remember right it was grey and they had taken the soft top off and put a piece of sheet metal across the bows but left the back of the cab open. It may not have been grey though as I'm going off a childhood memory and the color pics of the era were not very vibrant to boot.

diseased

I still have the data plates and a cab from an AF blue M715. The truck was last assigned to the CAP. Dennis

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
69K1626 was on the doors.
That is a USAF marking: 69- Year taken on inventory (may or may not indicate vehicle year model); K - tactical vehicle; 1626 - the 1626th vehicle added to the USAF inventory in '69.

Cheers

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks, guys! I guess there's "living proof" that USAF-owned M715s actually existed.

On the aerodrome signals decal, it may or may not be an Air Force decal. The signals are universal. If Air Force it will have an "AF form XXX" form number on the bottom. Army forms will be similar, but say "DA form XXX" on the bottom.

For tamangel: I loved my 1 year and 3 days with the 507 TACCS at Shaw AFB, SC. We didn't have any M715s by the time I got there in 1979, but we had a lot of M35A2s, several M151A2s, a bunch of M880s that nobody wanted to drive, and a few CJ7s that were being evalluated as replacements for the M151s. We all loved the MUTTS, preferring them to the CJ7s.

Last edited:

miner49er

I know this is an old thread, but I have a 1968 Air Force M715. There is no evidence that it was ever painted strata blue. It also has an "Air Force Reserve Inventory Number" on a data plate. The markings were on it when I bought it.

kFazYi.jpg

wWOoM3.jpg

WgLAGb.jpg

QSQgM6.jpg

tamangel

Miner, the regular USAF M715 that I drove in the early '70's was OD in color. The tac controlsquadron I was in (609 TCS, Cannon, NM) was a mobile outfit and all vehicle were OD.. Nice example you have..

Mike W

MJCougler

When I was stationed in Bremerhaven Germany at the LORAN Site, '78-81, the 606 TCS had an OD green M725 parked in front of their HQ building. They had two medical technicians on staff that screened personel for medical treatment, and they deployed whenever they did a "rally-round-the-flagpole" or deployment training exercise. I remember telling myself "that's a Jeep; I need to get myself one of them, one of these days"...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks