• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF Thiokol 601

RangerBob

Holy Frijole, are you timely or psychic? The 601 will be on the move this week. Today my M43 and the 601 tracks made their great escape from my cousins place and may have made it north by now. Tomorrow it should be the 601s turn. Reports from the field are the 601 engine is purring like a big fluffy blue snowkitten.

BPAabove-4.jpg

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great! You bring the 601 up to NH to play with when the snow falls
Are you buying or selling the 4t10?

RangerBob

Looks like the 601 won't head north until next week due to logistics (time/space/equipment). No biggie since I won't be able to get up there until November. Then there will be some fun!

I have purchased the 4T10. Now I just need to transport it from NV to NH or NM. Haven't decided which place I'll take it to or what to do with it after that. Not a fan of it's power divider system, but it is true strata blue under that ugly orange, so I had to have it.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you doing the m43 blue too to match the 601? Are you painting the 4t10 blue too do you can have a fleet?

RangerBob

The 4T10 will be returned to its true blue. The M43 was a squid-mobile, and to me it would just seem fake to paint it blue. I hate it when strata blue deuces and M37s get OD'd. But I don't want it to be some squidly color either. Maybe I'll just sand it down a bit, clear-coat it, and call it patina.

RangerBob

My 601 is now in more trustworthy hands.

BPTabove.jpg BPtandThome.jpg

She is currently getting some work done on her running gear. The engine seems to be running fine, but the first trip up the mountain will tell. Meanwhile...

BPtires.jpg BP601wheelsL.jpg

Tire repair and/or replacement. I do need to find a couple of spare wheels eventually, but we haven't located the F&H casting number on any of them.

BPnewWheels2.jpg BPnewWheels1.jpg

The tracks are getting a once-over.

BPcattrack.jpg BPtrackslaidout.jpg

One of the brake control levers is far too 'floppy'. I'm sure the master cylinder on that side is shot/corroded. It's a common failure, and there is a very nice stainless upgrade for it, but not sure I'm going that way. Money...

BP601brakesM.jpg BP601brakesS.jpg

Also on the immediate list, a fuel system flush and a bit of work on the choke. There may be some axle and drive sprocket work at some point, but not this year. I expect to be driving her up the mountain by early December. Woohoo!

HAWKMAN

Just looked at this one today after unloading, not in too bad of shape. Yard owner said engine was bad,(Ford straight six) the rest looked like it was outdoors for a LONG time...but...if no one beats me to it I'm a player for this!
Well....the scrapyard that this one is in is going to shut down and pretty much everything is going.....soooo....I couldn't stand to see this cat get 'put down' so I decided to initiate a rescue, I guess I just joined your showcat club RANGERBOB, will keep everyone in formed with the progress of this...looks like it can be a lot of fun...

RangerBob

No 601 updates, though I expect to be all over her in early December.

I am not selling the 4T10, but I will be moving her from NV to NM in about a week. Check my 4T10 thread about then for en route pictures.

The other 4T10 is a squid-mobile, so of limited interest to me. :roll:

Last edited:

Freon

From reading another post related to this you are referred to as possibly being able to locate a bogie wheel for a Thiokol model 1450 snocat . I need a front one, it sort of looks like s caster wheel, aluminum with a poly type outer surface. They want 400 dollars for one on the internet , is that the only choice?

Freon

Thanks RangerBob. I have been trying to join that forum for three weeks now and don't seam to be able to figure it out. I even sent messages to the forum moderator and never get a reply.

Guess I will try again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks