• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF Thiokol 601

RangerBob

What the heck, over? No military snowcat threads?!?! Well, let's fix that right now!!!

Here is my beautifully faded strata blue 1963 Thiokol 601, which is retired from active duty with the USAF. Units like this were used for test rocket recovery, perimeter patrol, and personnel transport on the DEW Line.

Attachments

RangerBob

Ha ha!!! You are a man of distinguished taste!

However, owning one of these rare cats is like being a Marine....the few, the proud. :razz:

You may notice my avatar. That was the day I finally bagged one after years of searching. That's my 'Captain Morgan' conquest pose. :)

Last edited:

RangerBob

No, but it would make it easier/possible to push it. There is a drive cog/sprocket in the rear that pulls the tracks around the bogie tires. The bogie tires that are at ground level have no power applied to them and just spin on their axles. A drive sprocket and track/bogies glamour shot...

Attachments

RangerBob

Rather than more pictures of mine, how about some eye candy of one that has been absolutely perfectly (perhaps better than factory) restored?

This unit is the same year as mine and was found in horrific shape by a friend on another forum. He spent years restoring it. In the end, it was so amazing that a local news crew came out and filmed it. Here's a before and and after picture, followed by a youtube video of the tv news presentation.

Attachments

Last edited:

RangerBob

The news video...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsKgYLJIMBs[/media]

And a shake-down video...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIzvs4BCfw[/media]

Last edited:

captain-crank

Here's my Sno-Cat.

An amphibious 1963 BV 202, made by Bolinder Munktell in Sweden. A subsidiary of Volvo.

One of two tested by the US Army at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in 1965. Listed in "US Tracked Vehicles."

Both went to Alaska and served with CRREL...Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratories.

One machine was used as a donor to keep the other functioning.

This is that machine.... U.S. Army 12FD30.... the only lone surviving Swedish BV 202 to be given a U.S. Army Registration Number.

Attachments

TheWeatherMan

I love snow cats. I get paid to drive those things up and down ski hills for the winter. Just the ones I run are a lot newer, although I did have the chance to run a old thiokol once. Ill stick to the hydrostatic snow cats. Btw we store snow cats with the tracks off during the off season to prevent dry rot to the rubber, those tracks get expensive. Also its a lot easier to move them with no tracks if you have a good tow vehicle

Das Uber Soldat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want one badly... I'd also love enough snow to fully justify one.

Maybe it was seeing it last week, but whenever I see older sno-cats like this, I think of The Thing...

ODdave

What the heck, over? No military snowcat threads?!?! Well, let's fix that right now!!!

Here is my beautifully faded strata blue 1963 Thiokol 601, which is retired from active duty with the USAF. Units like this were used for test rocket recovery, perimeter patrol, and personnel transport on the DEW Line.

SINGLE HANDEDLY THE BEST THREAD ON HERE !!!![thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

I have been looking for a snow cat for some time now.aua

I couldnt help but notice......"future owner of a M35a2" ????? I could help with that if you decide that sno-cat Dosnt sute your needs.:wink:

ODdave

Rather than more pictures of mine, how about some eye candy of one that has been absolutely perfectly (perhaps better than factory) restored?

This unit is the same year as mine and was found in horrific shape by a friend on another forum. He spent years restoring it. In the end, it was so amazing that a local news crew came out and filmed it. Here's a before and and after picture, followed by a youtube video of the tv news presentation.
Thats right, The good stuff is here in MICHIGAN, I just cant find it......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks