• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Used and Abused

bigelk50

It would not be easy and no telling how long it would last, but if there is enough good metal in that cast metal of the case it could be welded back up. I used to weld up huge bearing casings that were cast when I was a millwright.

donkdonk

Bobbed truck snapped an axle when we were pulling it out. I guess they don't really like to try and spin a 48" tire that is buried in sand. Strange that it is such a clean break, or is it normal for them to just snap clean like that?

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Use it as a lock out hub. I can pull an axle out of the front dual, and put that in its place. That helps keep binding of the rear tandems to a minimum and helps not eat tires up so much. Then when I know I need traction, I would unbolt it and install the regular axle.

donkdonk

Here is the winch. Sorry about the poor quality cellphone pics, dog ate camera. :-x

Guess this winch is probably toast. I thought I could have it welded up, but with all of the damage, I am not sure it would be worth it. What do you guys think? You can see the Aluminum shear pin, it will not come out. :roll:

Attachments

scooter01922

Holy chit batman, now thats a failure !!!!! This is the scomd winch i have seen around here lately with a shattered bronze bullgear. I can't even fathom the force required to do that to such a heavy gear. You must have had a weakness in that winch before the pull, or the shear pin isn't really aluminum. Ya never know, maybe the PO welded the shaft or something after replacing a few too many pins, seen stupider things.......

TenTires

Who needs axle articulation with frame-flex like that? Nice pics
No kidding!

Nice pics btw! Are those tires the same size as 14.5-20.00's? Reason being, Ive been really thinking about singling my deuce out and I already have 14.5's in the front (on stock rims) so all I would need is 4 more tires. As for the rears, Im guessing you flipped the hubs but can you turn the rear rims the other way?

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
donkdonk,
:-D
Thanx for the exploded view of the winch innards.
This will definitely help when I do my winch overhaul, I will know exactly what to look for inside. Minus the shattered components.

donkdonk

No kidding!

Nice pics btw! Are those tires the same size as 14.5-20.00's? Reason being, Ive been really thinking about singling my deuce out and I already have 14.5's in the front (on stock rims) so all I would need is 4 more tires. As for the rears, Im guessing you flipped the hubs but can you turn the rear rims the other way?
The 14.5r20's are 44x14" tires and the 395/85r20's are 48x15" if I am not mistaken. Yes, I flipped the hubs. If you try to turn the rims around after you flip hubs they stick out like 2 feet. If you don't flip the hubs you can turn the wheels around and they look pretty good, but they will not track with the front tires, and there is a debate if it is bad on bearings and such. To see what it looks like see Rizzo's truck.

TenTires

Hmmm..........Those tires look REALLY good! Are those "military issue" or did you have to buy them from an outside source? I went to Rizzo's profile but he didnt have any media. I guess Ill "do a search".....

tm america

14.5s are 44 x 14.5 and 395s are 46.7 x 15 14.00s are 48 x 14 14.00s wont fit on a stock duece they hit in the middle on the backs have to remake the rear suspension to get em on there 395s are the same size as the 15.5s i have 15.5s on my truck stock wheels singled . i flipped the hubs not to bad to do . well worth it better all around .if you do more street driving than off road 14.5s might be better for you they are the same height as the 11.00s and youll be able to put the speedo adapter from a five ton to get your speedo right