• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

used cooking oil as fuel

CycleJay

Hi All,

I would like to know if used cooking oil can be used as fuel.
In an M1009 with a 6.2L Diesel V8 in any form without causing engine damage?
(perhaps mixed with diesel gas, straight, with a fuel additive, etc..)

Any help would be appreciated.

CJ

P.s. I have NOT done it, I would just like to know if it is possible.
Thank you

1986Blazerk5

I dont think you can use it straight, you have to break it down and filter it, i think its called bio diesel, but im NOT a expert in this subject

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There are numerous threads on the site concerning alternate fuels in most diesel MV's.
When in doubt use search first (least thy get a scolding from some folks).

That being said I will give you some skinny.

I use WVO in my deuce and my diesel Ford Ranger pickup.

If you are using it in a straight diesel (like I do in the Ranger) you can mix it with diesel but be mindful of the temperature...WVO will thicken up when it gets cool.

If it is hot as ell (like it is now in AL) you can run a high mix (70% WVO 30% diesel) but it is best to run it out before you park it. This works best if you are going on a long trip...when you get to your destination put some diesel in it to thin it back out.....when you get ready to head back top it off with veggie.

If you want to run straight veggie you will need a two tank system and way to heat it before it goes through the injector pump (optimum temp is 160 degrees). You will also need a switching system to go from diesel to WVO and back.

I don't notice any difference in performance when running WVO...just the smell of french fries.

Last edited:

watkinssr

Filtering it is important. WVO from a food establishment may have salt, and all kinds of other nasty stuff mixed into it. It is possible to process WVO into bio-diesel. I've only run actually pump bio diesel (soybean oil) myself in previous diesels...if my cucv ever makes it out of the driveway, I will be running it again.

b4thundr

well I have been running 100% WVO in my 1995 Ford powerstroke for 4 years now, I have been using a kit from grease car no probs at all!! i have also mixed veg in diesel and am running it in a 1999 international with a 60 series Detroit in a 20% mix, i have had luck with this as well i guess its up to you what ya wanna do.

stumps

One small note for those of you with visions of capitalizing on all of the free WVO in restaurant "dumpsters" everywhere:

It ain't free anymore!

Locally, we had a case where some guy was making an early morning run at all of the restaurants in town and pumping their waste oil tanks dry.... The restaurant owners were very upset, and called the cops. The cops caught him red handed. Thanks to the various state and county trucks using biodiesel, WVO is now a commodity, and restaurant owners get paid a couple of bucks a gallon for the stuff (more when diesel prices are high, less when they aren't). Pump one restaurant tank dry, and you are in felony theft territory.

Make sure the restaurant owner is on board with you pumping his tanks!

-Chuck

CycleJay

One small note for those of you with visions of capitalizing on all of the free WVO in restaurant "dumpsters" everywhere:

It ain't free anymore!

Locally, we had a case where some guy was making an early morning run at all of the restaurants in town and pumping their waste oil tanks dry.... The restaurant owners were very upset, and called the cops. The cops caught him red handed. Thanks to the various state and county trucks using biodiesel, WVO is now a commodity, and restaurant owners get paid a couple of bucks a gallon for the stuff (more when diesel prices are high, less when they aren't). Pump one restaurant tank dry, and you are in felony theft territory.

Make sure the restaurant owner is on board with you pumping his tanks!

-Chuck
Hello Chuck,

That is not something I have to worry about if I want some WVO.

I work at a catering company, and I can get all the WVO I want for free.

My employer already said yes, I can have it.

I just got to modify my engine to use it, if I want to take that step.

Have a good day,

CJ

stumps

Hi CJ,

That's mighty generous of him! Up here, closer to the flag pole, the grease scavengers pay between $1 and $3 per gallon. It would be worth hauling grease up from Georgia for that kind of money.

-Chuck

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
For those of who don't know it "yellow grease" (all the crap that ends up in the container behind any place with a kitchen) is a traded commodity. It is against the law to dump any grease or oil into the sanitary sewer system.

It is refined and sold the the feed industry, cosmetics (bet the wifey didn't know that) and for other uses.

At one time the business owners had to pay the have the stuff removed.....now some of them sell their scrap grease (this depends on local codes and demand in the area).

When diesel fuel spiked I was consulting with one of the largest tallow companies in my area on how to run their suck trucks on veggie.......because they suck all the crud out of the grease bins they did not think the filtering system needed would be cost effective.

The best stuff to get is oil from Mexican or Chinese resturants where the oil is used to cook one item (salsa chips and egg rolls respectivly). Oil from fryers that cook chicken, fish, french fries is second choice but will have more water (from frozen food) and other crunchy crud in it.

The main concern is filtering out water.....filter, filter, filter can not be stressed enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks