• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Used Rotella T in fuel tank?

Dave 52804

I remember reading that some guys were using used motor oil as a fuel"stretcher". I run Rotella T in my 1028 and just changed the oil. Is it OK to put this in the tank and burn it? Will it have any ill effects on my fuel lines and or fuel filter? I'm new to diesels, and could use some advice. Thanks in advance!

Westech

CPL
You can run a 6.2 no problem at 50% WMO... here is the problem... you need to filter it down to 6 micron or less. The Injection pumps HATE dirt and bits o crap. It will eat the pump alive.

Matt65

Filtering down to 5-10 microns will ensure it's clean. If your engine is in good health, no coolant in the oil, you should have no problems.

Dudadiesel.com has cheap filter socks that are cheap and work great.

Dave 52804

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think I'll run alot of used oil in my tank, I'm just looking for a good way to put it to some good use. Can you buy filter bags at Autozone, O'Riley's, NAPA etc....?

kentuckycucv

NO...Try ebay. i run WVO and WMO in my 1009. been doing it for 30K+ miles ...I added a pre filter inline... anyway I have a filtration system. Today Im at a 99% WVO ratio... I have to let the glow plugs cycle twice for a cold start. Or a little blast of eiiher and she fires right up.

kentuckycucv

Oh I forgot... You know those reusable grocery store bags to help save the environment. You can pour your oil thru one of those and get the big stuff out...its down to 30-50 microns. You can let your stock fuel filter get the rest...
That is what I use to dump my fresh waste vegie oil and used moter oil thru befor I run it thru my 20-20 -10 micron filter system.

Mohawk Dave

Hey guys,

I've read the Alternative Fuel Forum, and also researched many other sites as I definitly want to do this. Now I know this thread is about WMO and not Bio-diesel. Today at Diesel Injection Services in San Bernardino, Lou, one of the owners, was showing me photos of IP pumps from 29 Palms Marine base that had been running Bio-diesel. Brand new IP pumps were totally fudged, several within a months time. Pitted and rusted. He stated that the Bio-diesel attracts up to 40% of it's weight in water, causing the rust. He also stated he did not know what type of bio-diesel the Marines were using.

I asked him what he thought of WMO and he advised against it. But, seeing how many people do this with positive results, I am still planning on doing it with extensive research.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but many say not to use diesel WMO b/c of all the contaminants in it from our motors. Many say to use only WMO out of gas motors.

Thoughts?

Dave

rnd-motorsports

I see no diff. in oil out of a gas or a diesel as far as having any contaminants! more then the other I change my oil and filter it and put into my fuel tank see no diff. filter the oil first.[thumbzup]

kentuckycucv

Im having PROBLEMS... I have been using pretty clean WVO... Tried some Waste moter oil and I dont think I cleaned it well enough??? Maybe its because I have a 26 year old truck. But I think my injectors are getting rough or my IP is starting to go... I will let you know.
(Speculation) I think the problem with BioDiesel is that they mix ETHONOL in the veggie oil to remove the glycerins. Thats where the water comes from.
My problem I think is my 10 micron filter in my filter system might be wasted and i might have got 20 micons in the fuel. and soot from the used diesel oil.

ca1517

The biodiesel I make uses methanol. The water comes from the wash cycle. If you do not dry it properly, or leave it in an open storage vessel, you will accumulate water. Any other water accumulation (which should be minute) should be removed in the water seperator when the final product is pumped into the tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks