• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Useing a different fuel filter base

ranchhopper

After getting a 1008 from the GSA while trying to get it started I noticed the FF base leaking not the first Ive had do it so I picked up a replacement.I had several of these from ford 6.9 and 7.3 setups I get them for five bucks each at my friends junkyard and they work out pretty well.Just a few holes drilled in the original CUCV filter bracket and it bolts right to it. The filter has a water seperator which has a small knurled knob under the filter which allows the water to drain.After replacing this the IP, injectors and lines it runs like a champ having all those GL 6.2s for parts comes in handy at times.

Attachments

Hoolio

I went to NAPA , got a 3123 filter [spin-on]..They came up with an appropriate housing for it..I had to alter the steel back plate for the filter base..Hosed it , it works t*tts..

Hoolio

I live in Ohio..I probably will use an anti-gell.. Truck [M1028A1] sits inside nights..Whats my main concern is starting at 3:00 AM to go plow the township roads..The filter sits just inches from the engine valve cover and the injector pump sits low under the intake manifold and will undoubtly get residual heat from the engine..I haven't heard of any cold weather concerns using another style filter..If you look at construction equipment , none of the dozers or backhoes have heated filters , and many run a Stanadyne pump..Unless poorly maintained , they usually start...Roy Suomi

BIG_RED

Up here in Canada the fuel companies put in anti-gel at the pumps when it gets cold outside. I imagine they would where you are too, if it gets cold enough to warrant it. My setup on my M1009 has no heater either, and it's never had a problem all the way down to -40*. I don't put in anything but 2-stroke oil(no anti-gel), as I find it quiets down the truck a bit and the truck accelerates a little more uniformly. (helps make up for today's cruddy non-lubricating diesel wearing out the IP) (I also run injector cleaner every few months, It seems to run better afterwards for a while) The important thing is not to leave summer fuel in the tank when it gets cold. Mine's a daily driver so there's always fuel running through it. The fuel companies add additives early around here, so even if you only fill up every 2 weeks you should be ok. If you drive it only every 2 months - you might get into trouble. Good luck, and good idea on stealing ford parts. Easy to get replacement filters I bet. How many microns does it filter down to?