• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uses for Deuces

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M37M35 - I see that some times you leave the crane out on top of the load and not folded up, is there a reason?

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am pretty sure that I need a truck like that... No, not the red one. The one with the knuckle boom on it. Looks for all in the world like a Hiab 950 boom...
Everyone needs a 6wd truck with a boom on it!! And if you didn't have any friends before, you will after you get one! :ROFLMAO: Yup, it's a Hiab 950.

Looks like it would have made a good wheel chock for the 915.
The red one... Absolutely! Great idea.
Yup! That's a good use for a Ford!

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it ran off the stock pto pump
Just saw this.
The pump is aftermarket and is driven by a rear-facing accessory drive off the winch PTO.

Very few deuce models came with a PTO driven hydraulic pump from the factory. The dump truck and M108 crane versions being two.

Jtmoore12

Just saw this.
The pump is aftermarket and is driven by a rear-facing accessory drive off the winch PTO.

Very few deuce models came with a PTO driven hydraulic pump from the factory. The dump truck and M108 crane versions being two.
I have a m51a2 so it has a pto driven pump is it big enough for a knuckle boom

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a m51a2 so it has a pto driven pump is it big enough for a knuckle boom
It would depend on the volume and pressure requirements of the knuckle boom you're going to use. A good place to start would be to look through the technical manuals for the M51A2 and find the specs for your current pump.
You could start a thread in the 5 ton forum to discuss what you're wanting to do.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Putting the deuce to work again!
And trying out the gooseneck hitch for the first time.

So a friend of mine calls me and says he needs his backhoe moved. And he says 'oh, by the way, it's not running right and will need to be winched onto the trailer'. Great.

So after a bit of trouble getting it running enough to raise the hydraulics, and using the deuce to tow it out where I could get the trailer to it, we could finally winch it on.
My friend grabbed his receiver-mount electric winch that we put in the receiver of the deuce and powered off his truck battery, then I ran the line up through a pulley and along the deck of the trailer. I didn't want to put too much stress on his little Harbor Freight winch, so I ran a four part line to the backhoe. After getting all that set up, it actually winched up pretty easily.

When we got to the other end, I was able to park the deuce with the rear of the trailer slightly downhill. We set the winch up again and used it to control the backhoe as it rolled off the trailer.

It was about a 35 mile drive to get to my friend's place, about 20 miles hauling the backhoe, and about 20 miles home, so a good little jaunt for the deuce.

20201004_134248.jpg20201004_134311.jpg20201011_142406.jpg20201011_142422.jpg20201011_143027.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Putting the deuce to work again!
And trying out the gooseneck hitch for the first time.

So a friend of mine calls me and says he needs his backhoe moved. And he says 'oh, by the way, it's not running right and will need to be winched onto the trailer'. Great.

So after a bit of trouble getting it running enough to raise the hydraulics, and using the deuce to tow it out where I could get the trailer to it, we could finally winch it on.
My friend grabbed his receiver-mount electric winch that we put in the receiver of the deuce and powered off his truck battery, then I ran the line up through a pulley and along the deck of the trailer. I didn't want to put too much stress on his little Harbor Freight winch, so I ran a four part line to the backhoe. After getting all that set up, it actually winched up pretty easily.

When we got to the other end, I was able to park the deuce with the rear of the trailer slightly downhill. We set the winch up again and used it to control the backhoe as it rolled off the trailer.

It was about a 35 mile drive to get to my friend's place, about 20 miles hauling the backhoe, and about 20 miles home, so a good little jaunt for the deuce.

View attachment 814842View attachment 814843View attachment 814844View attachment 814845View attachment 814846
Wow! I like that truck. All that work and you didn't even get to use the Hiab.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! I like that truck. All that work and you didn't even get to use the Hiab.
No, not for that adventure. But I did for this one!

A friend of mine tipped me off about a truck and trailer for sale. My dad decided they were too good of a deal to pass up, so the deuce got pressed into service to help load them and haul them back.

I don't know if the F600 is worth fixing, but the wrecker bed is pretty nice and has a 20,000 lb Ramsey hydraulic winch.
The step deck trailer has 10,000 lb axles, and is ALL ALUMINUM!!

All the tires were flat on the step deck so we loaded it on the gooseneck trailer. I used the deuce to pick up the rear of the step deck and my brother backed the gooseneck under it. Then I moved the deuce forward and picked up the front of the step deck while my brother backed under the rest of the way.

Then I used the knuckleboom to pull the Ford onto the other trailer.

My brother pulled the gooseneck with the step deck on it with his truck, and the deuce pulled the trailer with the Ford.
It was just over 100 miles round trip.

20201014_123537.jpg20201014_123624.jpgScreenshot_20201017-210609_Viber.jpgScreenshot_20201017-210709_Viber.jpg20201016_134606.jpg20201016_134638.jpg20201016_143006.jpg20201016_143014.jpg20201016_155951.jpg20201016_154614.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No, not for that adventure. But I did for this one!

A friend of mine tipped me off about a truck and trailer for sale. My dad decided they were too good of a deal to pass up, so the deuce got pressed into service to help load them and haul them back.

I don't know if the F600 is worth fixing, but the wrecker bed is pretty nice and has a 20,000 lb Ramsey hydraulic winch.
The step deck trailer has 10,000 lb axles, and is ALL ALUMINUM!!

All the tires were flat on the step deck so we loaded it on the gooseneck trailer. I used the deuce to pick up the rear of the step deck and my brother backed the gooseneck under it. Then I moved the deuce forward and picked up the front of the step deck while my brother backed under the rest of the way.

Then I used the knuckleboom to pull the Ford onto the other trailer.

My brother pulled the gooseneck with the step deck on it with his truck, and the deuce pulled the trailer with the Ford.
It was just over 100 miles round trip.

View attachment 815416View attachment 815417View attachment 815427View attachment 815428View attachment 815418View attachment 815419View attachment 815420View attachment 815421View attachment 815422View attachment 815424
Really nice recovery! That aluminum low deck trailer is particularly nice! Definitely a nice way to make good use of your knuckle boom Hiab! The truck is good too. Definitely handy to have had some help to make it happen...

More Toys!!! Yeah!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks