• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

using 12v lights in a 24v environment

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw a few posts that reference using two 12v lights in a 24v mv but I do not understand the wiring lay out.

Could someone explain how or post a diagram for "Wiring Dummies" (me) :)

Thanks,

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wire the lights in series I would assume. Course, then the fun becomes finding out which bulb is burnt out...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only two choices really, but.... according to Mr. Murphy... one will first disassemble the one that is NOT burnt...:)

G.

Heath_h49008

The short version, you can take 2 12 volt lights... say some KC Daylighters... and connect them in series. Battery/switch to Positive light#1, negative light #1 to positive light #2, and negative light #2 to ground.

It's easier to just get the right 24V bulbs.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, just wire them in series ( + in to one light, - out to the + of the other light, ground the - on the second light).

This is how I have the pyro and boost gauge lights on my deuce wired. I could have just swapped to 24v bulbs but the gauges came with 12v so I just wired them in series. The only problem is if one light burns out, the other one will go out also.

Last edited by a moderator:

papakb

Wiring bulbs in series sounds like a great plan and will work electrically but anyone think about where the bulbs get used? You can't get 2 bulbs into a composite light that I know of and wiring headlights or taillights in series just doesn't make sense. Not when you start running extra wires around to put them in series.

If you want dual voltage lamps get the 10 to 30 volt LED lamps that are on the market today and be done with worrying about what you have in the system

Kurt

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It gets complicated to wire in series when the 12v light fixture is grounded by it's mounting hardware.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks