• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using 28vdc to start MEP-804A

kwartk

Fellow Steelers, reaching out for advice. Recently obtained 2 MEP's; 802 & 804A..Will be used intermittently to test and validate certain pumps and items, however don't want to buy batteries and leave out in the cold at the mercy of the elements.. I have a small aircraft starter ~ Audio Authority 2870A Power Adapter that outputs 28vdc. Can i connect the 28vdc output to the MEP-804A slave and use that to start in lieu of batteries? Will 28vdc fry the MEP-804A starter / electronics? As ever , any advice or pointers much saluted & appreciated.

Thank You...

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guyfang, do these generators need to have batteries in them to stay running once the 28V power supply is removed?

Guyfang

Staff member
No, as long as the DC charging circuit is working properly, the set will run without batteries. I would tape off the two main battery clamps, to be safe.

Or, if your aircraft starter has a NATO plug, and you have the NATO jumper cable, you could leave it plugged in, after you start the gen set. Then turn off the aircraft starter. The gen set would "see" the batteries the same way it would if the batteries were in the gen set. Charge them until they are full. Then reduce the charging.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a small aircraft starter ~ Audio Authority 2870A Power Adapter that outputs 28vdc.

Thank You...
The 2870 will output 70 amps, before it will safely shut down on overload. I have never measured my 802a starting current, but it might be enough to get it started since it is a small engine. Not sure about the larger 804A.
(Has anyone here measured the starting current on an 802a while cranking?)

Guyfang

Staff member
I believe the starter is rated at 18 amps. I do not believe that this should be a problem. The rotor heads in Ansbach use the 2870 to start all kinds of things, to include gen sets. Or did anyway, last time I worked there.