• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using 4l80 in Humvee with LS?

sail78385

Ive exhausted my keyboard trying to figure this out. Can the factory 4l80 in my Humvee be used with a LS engine, such as a Lq9? Anyone gone this route and used a Holley setup with the gauge pack/screen from Holley? If this is even possible is the stock humvee torque converter ok or does it need to be swapped?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They make adapters to be able to use the legacy transmissions on the LS motors, the crank to rear engine flange depth is different, and as TOBASH said you should use a gasser torque converter.
The info is not hard to find.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to do the reverse when I installed a 6L80 behind the Detroit engine, I had to use a spacer between the bell housing and engine rather than a spacer between the torque converter and crank.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a link with some visual explanations, IIRC you will need a conversion flex plate and a crank extension, the crank extension gets the 4L80 torque converter correctly spaced into the transmission.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Some of the original H1 were built with Chevy engines. They are called gassers. Many people throw in Chevy engines. Discussed here and that other forum.